Reengineering the Moog Source User Interface

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Reengineering the Moog Source User Interface

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:09 pm

So, as some of you already know, I picked up a Moog Source a few weeks ago. Super fantastically great sounding machine. Totally worthy of being referred to as 'the closest you get to an original Minimoog.' Bonuses include the arpeggiator, sequencer, 2-1 osc sync, S+H, and of course, patch memory.

However, there's one biiiiig downside. The infamous membrane switch panel. Totalllly futuristic for 1980, yet completely un-future proof. If your original panel is still working now, its a ticking time bomb till the day various parts of it stop working. Once upon a time there were new old stock and remanufactured panels floating around to replace these troublesome ones. These days they are few and far between.

Anyways, my particular Source was purchased with one of these lovely malfunctioning panels. After a few weeks of posting on various forums and searching the internet high a low for a replacement panel, I decided to opt for another solution.

Enter: Mystery Circuits Moog Source Membrane Switch Cure Brilliant! What a find! Mike (the wizard behind 'the cure') painstakingly mapped out all of the switch pin outs, and was able to convert the original membrane switches into a push button setup! He then was kind enough to post in detail his process on the internet for all to see! Not only that, but he's been very responsive to the questions I've emailed him!

So blah blah, anyways - since I apparently enjoy taking on projects well outside of my comfort zone, I decided to customize his customization a bit. I found some goofy looking switches:

and have been working on a new layout scheme of my own:

And that's where I'm at as of this morning. I need to finish positioning things, then drill holes, wire and mount. I may or may not paint the sheet metal. The panel is going to end up in an angled wood enclosure that matches the original wood panels on the sides of the Source. I think it'll looking pretty cool in the end! And, of course, it will be fully functioning without a care in the world!

I'll post my progress as I go. I think this is the right subforum for this, but if not, let me know!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Reengineering the Moog Source User Interface

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Excited to see your progress.
zoomtheline

Postby tomorrowstops » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Update:

After a long battle with the new layout and several attempts to drill accurate holes, I had my Photoshop expert sis do a computer mock up of the layout and then had my machinest pal Justin drill me some holes in a nice thick piece of steel. Here's where we're at so far:

Yup. Its going to look pretty goofy, but I kinda dig it....

My next task is gluing down those pesky labels. I've only lost one so far! Then wiring. Then build a box to mount this panel on. Such a project.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Black Tomorrow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 am

Looking good. Keep us posted.
Black Tomorrow

Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, GPO4

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

So here's the spaghetti mess that is my wiring job for the back panel:

And here's the new wiring coming from the ribbon connector board:

I put the whole thing back together and turned it on. The keys trigger preset 1 as they should, but nothing on the panel works. The program display number doesn't show, and the incremental control number only displays partial digits.

Damn.

I'm gonna have my pal recheck all my solder joints (I'm not the greatest when it comes to soldering). There's also still a question of are the right sets of wires going to the right ribbon connectors on the board.

Blah.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:19 pm

Damn, hope you work it out.
zoomtheline

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm

thanks mang....I know I'll solve the riddle, its just a matter of when. I've been without a working synth for at least a month or so now! Well I guess the Opus 3 is mostly fine - its just at the studio for now, waiting for my pal to recap it.

another fun pic:

Hey - maybe Flash will save the day!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Aaron2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 am

tomorrowstops wrote:Update:

After a long battle with the new layout and several attempts to drill accurate holes, I had my Photoshop expert sis do a computer mock up of the layout and then had my machinest pal Justin drill me some holes in a nice thick piece of steel. Here's where we're at so far:

Yup. Its going to look pretty goofy, but I kinda dig it....

My next task is gluing down those pesky labels. I've only lost one so far! Then wiring. Then build a box to mount this panel on. Such a project.

There are sites where you can design a custom decal for your faceplate. People do it all the time for their DIY synths. That might make it less "goofy" looking.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MM, MD, OT, AR, AK
DSI: Tempest
Moog: Minitaur

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Oh, but I like the goofyness - It was goofy looking synth to begin with!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to General Synthesizers