Poll: how do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

How do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 am

It hurts the software developers and deprives them of hard earned cash. so, NO. I purchase it legitimately.
61%
FREE SOFTWARE!?!?! I'm IN!
4%
I don't like pirating things, but I do because I simply don't realistically have the money to purchase software.
4%
I do like pirating software, as it is wayyy overpriced and putting a price on self-expression is morally wrong.
No votes
I don't use software period, I'M OLD SKOOL!
4%
I use freeware.
No votes
I do like pirating software because it gives me a chance to fully evaluate it before deciding whether or not to purchase it
29%

Total votes : 28

Re: Poll: how do you feel about pirated/cracked DAW software

Postby griffin avid » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Well yes, I expect active support falls off for products and they become legacy.
True of both hard and softs. I'm fine with this.
Old stuffs should have their own page with a list of all its old drivers and updates.
A simple archive would suffice and a NO SUPPORT & LIABILITY disclaimer to boot.

Your OS is the one that needs a "Run this program in OS XYZ compatibility mode" mode.
I worry more about software companies that go under and you have no ability to register/authorize anymore.
I have a few programs where I have saved the registry key from old installs and use that to keep using the software on new machines.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby georgemarauder » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:14 am

What about people who are disabled or really poor and don't have any money to purchase software? I think for those people, pirating is sometimes the only option. But I say this. If you pirate, when you DO have the money to purchase, you always should.
georgemarauder

Postby griffin avid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:44 am

No excuse. There's enough free software legally available to make music. Matter of fact, there isn't a single functionality that can't be done with free tools. This also goes to people who claim they aren't sure if making music is really for them so they want to test the waters without spending any money.

I've also heard: I'm not selling my music so my tools to make it should be free.
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby georgemarauder » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Point taken. I didn't realize there were that many free tools now.
georgemarauder

Postby CS_TBL » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 pm

The free tools argument doesn't 100% cover the load. It's true for algorithm-based synths, but for e.g. orchestral samples there isn't a small version. Unless you only want a bit of an advanced Sound Canvas.. but all the aspects of today's libs (RR, legato samples, layers etc.) are like wheels of a car, you can't give up on one; it's all or nothing.

So, I stick to the 'try before buy' argument for these kind of libraries, for algo-synths there's indeed plenty o' free choice - and Komplete isn't that expensive anyway (and it contains FM8!). :)
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby griffin avid » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Um, yes it does. I just did a Google search and found tons of free VSTs that use orchestral multi-samples and I found a site for the Philharmonic Orchestra that has....

Thousands of free, downloadable sound samples specially recorded by Philharmonia Orchestra players. These samples are suitable for creating any kind of music, no matter what style.

The saying goes; Don't let resources limit your imagination, use you imagination to gain unlimited resources.

There's also soundfonts.
And you can even use GM to start off with.

We're talking about someone who is broke beyond their means of control.
Not someone with a crazy ear and expertise in music- that requires a-level tools, but, yeah at the same time they have NOOOO WAAAAAYYYY to raise/invest a dime.
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:00 am

georgemarauder wrote:What about people who are disabled or really poor and don't have any money to purchase a car? I think for those people, stealing one is sometimes the only option. But I say this. If you steal a car, when you DO have the money to purchase, you always should.

Well said.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
georgemarauder wrote:What about people who are disabled or really poor and don't have any money to purchase a car? I think for those people, stealing one is sometimes the only option. But I say this. If you steal a car, when you DO have the money to purchase, you always should.

Well said.

Well except there is always the capacity to earn more... Last I checked a car wasn't a life or death necessity, software neither.

That's the things about ethical debates, either you take it as black and white or shades in between, but at the end of the day it's about how you feel about doing it yourself.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff.

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Well except there is always the capacity to earn more...

Hahaha, when was the last time you looked for a job?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby Hybrid88 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:13 am

commodorejohn wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:Well except there is always the capacity to earn more...

Hahaha, when was the last time you looked for a job?

Explain to me how that is relevant or do you just like being an ass? Not that it's anyone's business here but I am going for an interview on Tuesday.

And yes it's hard (in all likelihood I am sure the unemployment rate is higher here than wherever you live) but I said *capacity*, not opportunity. Take your attitude elsewhere...
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby tallowwaters » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:11 am

Are we seriously trying to excuse piracy? If you want something, take it, but don't be such a puss that you have to justify it based on income or inability or some such nonsense. I've done far sketchier things in my life, but I've never operated under the guise that I was a victim of some controlling circumstance. Be a fucking adult or be gone.

:roll:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: synesthesia, venereal disease, obsessive compulsive disorder, manic depressive disorder, and sensitive skin.

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:23 am

Hybrid88 wrote:And yes it's hard (in all likelihood I am sure the unemployment rate is higher here than wherever you live) but I said *capacity*, not opportunity. Take your attitude elsewhere...

I'm not sure how capacity is supposed to be relevant when opportunity is so scarce, honestly. I mean, yeah, J. Random Noodler might be able to land a job that will allow him to afford software he couldn't before, but in this economy it's less than extremely likely.

tallowwaters wrote:Are we seriously trying to excuse piracy? If you want something, take it, but don't be such a puss that you have to justify it based on income or inability or some such nonsense. I've done far sketchier things in my life, but I've never operated under the guise that I was a victim of some controlling circumstance. Be a fucking adult or be gone.

Not trying to excuse anything, just saying that it's plenty easy for people to say "well, get a job that pays more!" and a lot harder to actually land one.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby griffin avid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 am

Honestly, that's not the point.
We all know you need more than survival funds.
And the security of a safety net.
Not many that are floating around these parts are struggling in some state of poverty.

When we (Yes, a gross blanket generalization) make tough decisions about purchases, it's not about eating verse BUY.
It's choosing between something we want and something we need (more).

As in, money that could be spent in a wiser way.
If you are struggling with survival, then making music (probably in any capacity) should not be a priority.
It's almost a refuge from your situation. A cracked version of Cubase isn't going to make your life any better.

You can use the free stuff to doodle and noodle while you figure out where your priorities should really be.

That said, it's about overtime and part-time jobs and a continuous job-hunt.
What can you sell, barter and such.....

I know many that feel music-making is a dream that they DESERVE to be pursuing at all costs, but won't spend a dime to invest in that direction, but they seem to have plenty of money for all the disposable crap and entertaining distractions.

When people say I can't afford..., they really mean "I would notice that money missing from my pocket"
And that's the silly bar reserved for ANYTHING you can get for FREE- illegally - with little chance of being caught or punished..
griffin avid
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Hybrid88 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:00 am

commodorejohn wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:Are we seriously trying to excuse piracy? If you want something, take it, but don't be such a puss that you have to justify it based on income or inability or some such nonsense. I've done far sketchier things in my life, but I've never operated under the guise that I was a victim of some controlling circumstance. Be a fucking adult or be gone.

Not trying to excuse anything, just saying that it's plenty easy for people to say "well, get a job that pays more!" and a lot harder to actually land one.

Yeah agreed, it is hard but like I say it's about priorities, absolute needs always come first but beyond that a lot of people waste their money IMO. Like if someone wants X synth so much, how about giving up the beer for example. :lol:

I've personally made a lot of sacrifices to be able to get what I want, and I'm sure I'm not the only one around here.

griffin avid wrote:I know many that feel music-making is a dream that they DESERVE to be pursuing at all costs, but won't spend a dime to invest in that direction, but they seem to have plenty of money for all the disposable crap and entertaining distractions.

Exactly. ;)
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby moog-lover » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:29 am

Marco Hardmeier
moog-lover

PreviousNext

Return to Software Synthesizers