twin AN-200 versus AN-1x

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: twin AN-200 versus AN-1x

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:12 pm

ellaguru wrote:i love an200, sometimes i also use it to control samplers because i like also its controlling capabilities (the midi reverse/forward is a super cool!! the pitch trick too), BUT the great weak point of this machine -apart from the must have pc editor for the synth- is that the sequencer has just 1 bar ( :roll: !!), don't know if the an1x one is built like that, but the an200 (and the dx200) as a groovebox alone doesn't work best...a workaround for this i made, is to decrease bpm (for example isntead of 90bpm i put 45bpm and so on) so nothing very scaring, but...
astonishing sounds from this machine anyway, for the price of a cheap groovebox camoufled desktop synth...

Very interesting comment, ellaguru. I just bought a dx200 that should arrive any day now. I've been looking for tips on these, and it never crossed my mind to use it as a controller for other gear. That midi reverse function should come to good use :dancer: Could you tell me more about the pitch trick?
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Advertisement:

Postby ellaguru » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Hugo76 wrote:
ellaguru wrote:Very interesting comment, ellaguru. I just bought a dx200 that should arrive any day now. I've been looking for tips on these, and it never crossed my mind to use it as a controller for other gear. That midi reverse function should come to good use :dancer: Could you tell me more about the pitch trick?

yes man of course.
the pitch trick is the Transpose mode the an200/dx200 share: you can transpose notes on the fly, in the middle of a pattern, nothing incredible for a synth; but this can give surprising results when driving via midi other samplers, expecially for drum parts. Basically, viewing that this way, is like combining different patterns, switching between them, not waiting the end of a pattern (anyway an/dx 200 can do that too -i mean "classic" program change- by pressing one of the 16 pads, choosing a pre-defined pattern, there is also this function...).

other trick: if you push ROLL, you have a "preset" roll, but if you combine it with bwd/fwd,always on the fly, you have some cool variations...
ellaguru

Postby Hugo76 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Excellent, this all sounds awesome, ellaguru :-D Thanks for the insight.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby corndogssg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:45 pm

when I bought my cs6x (for a great price I might add) I was thrilled to find not only 1 but 2 plg150-AN boards in it, the place where I bought it off of ebay didn't even realize it as they didn't advertise it and wouldn't of sold a cs6x with 2 AN's for 300 bucks. so I basically have an anx1/cs6x in one. I don't really see much benefit to having 2 AN cards installed though, and am gonna sell one and buy a plg 150 DX board. I know that it lowers the polyphony from 10 to 5 but I don't really care all that much, as I think having a cs6x/anx1/dx7 synth in one is pretty bad ass. I grabbed my parents old dell with windows xp on it that they were gonna give to good will after the got there new computer, so I lucked out as yeah, it is a bitch to have to have the computer to edit and even more so that it's all out dated.

the day Yamaha makes a anx2 synth with 4,5, or even 6 voice boards in it is the day they sell a ton of something other than motif's
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Postby ranzee » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 am

corndogssg wrote:when I bought my cs6x (for a great price I might add) I was thrilled to find not only 1 but 2 plg150-AN boards in it, the place where I bought it off of ebay didn't even realize it as they didn't advertise it and wouldn't of sold a cs6x with 2 AN's for 300 bucks. so I basically have an anx1/cs6x in one. I don't really see much benefit to having 2 AN cards installed though, and am gonna sell one and buy a plg 150 DX board. I know that it lowers the polyphony from 10 to 5 but I don't really care all that much, as I think having a cs6x/anx1/dx7 synth in one is pretty bad ass. I grabbed my parents old dell with windows xp on it that they were gonna give to good will after the got there new computer, so I lucked out as yeah, it is a bitch to have to have the computer to edit and even more so that it's all out dated.

the day Yamaha makes a anx2 synth with 4,5, or even 6 voice boards in it is the day they sell a ton of something other than motif's

That is pretty cool! Great deal you got there. I have a CS1X and an AN200 - had the CS1X since new (back in the late 90's). The AN200 was a recent purchase - and been pretty happy with it - it is a little basic, but I knew that. I haven't really gone into sound crafting with the PG150-AN board on it yet - but it's a job on my to-do list.

Further to your comment RE: AN2X - I would have to say that if Yamaha were to do anything like an AN2X - it would have to be a very big improvement on what the plg150-AN board does. It has stepping issues, and so they might need to improve the DSP processing power to sort that out - perhaps go a similar route to Roland (with the ACB in AIRA - using 96KHz). What would really impress me is a CS-80 clone - done properly (not like a VST) - I understand that to do it with analog electronics would be cost prohibitive - but to do a virtual version might be the way to go. Heck, if they made a decent multi-timbral VA with decent amounts of oscillators and voices - perhaps all this is possible. Yamaha really need to come out of sleeping.
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby zukskywalker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:28 pm

Good score!
The Motif ES racks seem to be holding their value a little better just because they can host two plg cards. It can get pretty exotic and is IMHO very efficient. Loaded up an AN and a VL into mine and drive them with a DX-200/DX7II combo which transmits just about everything on the knobs and buttons for a "virtual" AN-200 and VL-200 with BC.
VL-200..virtual version of something that never existed.;)
zukskywalker

Postby corndogssg » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:03 am

some Yamaha keyboards like the s80 only hold 1 plg board, while the cs6x holds 2, there are some that hold 3.
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts