Roland VT-3 Aira Voice Transformer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Roland VT-3 Aira Voice Transformer

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:36 pm

So I bought one of these mainly because I like the way my voice sounded through the reverb.

I don't do EDM so I would use the FX voices in a limited way. I think it's a great mic pre amp if nothing else and an easy way for a vocalist to adjust their sound on the spot. It's built well and the sliders and the knobs feel solid. I think the scatter function is very interesting with vocals and beat box voice and would be very useful in some sorts of reggae/ska music. I like that the vocoder function doesn't have to use a keyboard and the formants and pitch shifts, will be useful for background vocals and voice.

My main gripe is not enough in the delay and phasing dept., but it matters not as I have all sorts of delay devices. (I have a Korg MS2000R, a Kronos and a Kaos Pad 2 for carrier Vocoder, delays etc).

I think it's great value for $200 and give it a 3.5/5 or even maybe a 4/5.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Advertisement:

Re: Roland VT-3 Aira Voice Transformer

Postby Z » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:49 pm

I wish it had MIDI IN so you could control the pitch of the vocoder or pitch correct. But for $180, I can't complain too much.

It would also have been cool if the Scatter feature was available as a global effect like on the the other Airas.

One bonus I did not know about the VT-3 before buying it, it that the VT-3 will also act as an audio interface for computer if one were so inclined.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Return to General Synthesizers