bass amp for synth bass?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

bass amp for synth bass?

Postby Walter Ego » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm considering buying a bass amp specifically for handling bass synth duties during live performance--is there any advantage to this? It's not a very professional production situation--more for having fun around my house and at school with kids. The idea is that it's a dedicated amp just for basslines to give them an extra punch. Good idea or unnecessary?

What are the advantages of bass amps in general?

The rest of the setup is really just a couple of keyboard amps and a very basic mixer/amp/speakers setup.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Advertisement:

Re: bass amp for synth bass?

Postby pflosi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Advantages... compared to what? To sending your bass through keyboard or guitar amps? Or to send them directly to the PA?

The former: yes do it. Advantage: the amp can actually handle the frequency range of the instrument you're sending there :thumbright:

The latter: I don't see any necessity for it.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:14 am

One of the bands I mix has an all-synth lineup, whenever possible I get the guy who plays synth bass to run it through a bass amp which I mic up instead of just DIing it. Beefs up the bass, adds a bit of grit and punch and makes my foldback mix a little easier. I think it's a good thing to do, although if you're playing solo it could be overkill.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Walter Ego » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:42 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:One of the bands I mix has an all-synth lineup, whenever possible I get the guy who plays synth bass to run it through a bass amp which I mic up instead of just DIing it. Beefs up the bass, adds a bit of grit and punch and makes my foldback mix a little easier. I think it's a good thing to do, although if you're playing solo it could be overkill.

Yes, I like this idea. Adds some character and personality. Anyway, I asked because I'm thinking of just picking up a bass amp (obviously) and I want to run it through separate gear to take the load off other amps/speakers, especially when kicks are coming through the same speakers. Having a dedicated bass amp seems to make sense to me.

It's not very professional, but I like just hooking up a few keyboards to loud amps and making noise. It's a lot of fun and doesn't take a lot of time to set up.
Walter Ego
Walter Ego

Gear: A lot more gear than I would have if I wasn't a member of this forum...
Band: 12"VS

Postby moremagic » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 pm

dont use a bass amp for what it sounds like
use it for what it feels like
moremagic

Gear: dd-6, ps-6, mf-102, mf-101, er-1, ps-5, mf-104z, pds-20/20, mp-4, hd-1000, mf-107, cp-251, ad-9, pme-40x, s-10, sp-404sx, esq-1, mpc2000xls

Return to Sound Production