Waldorf Micro Q/Blofeld(Q is here and first impressions)

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Waldorf Micro Q/Blofeld(Q is here and first impressions)

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:25 am

Hello everyone, I have a little bit of a conundrum here. I've downloaded the manuals for both units and have skimmed through them. From what I can gather the Blofeld is more advanced except for when it comes to the effects section, and the Micro Q has a more hands on interface. That and the Q has 5 oscillators versus the 3 of the Blofeld. Is there more to it than that, or am I overlooking something? I get the feeling I am though. It seems both are in the same price range at the moment, and capability wise they're about the same. Long story short I'm looking at downsizing and will be using either to replace the AN1x and VFX I have, and as an added bonus I can take it out with the KX5 on my minimalist gigs. One advantage of the Blofeld is that I could mount it to my KX5, with a little bit of overhang, and cover up the useless bank section. Though if the Micro Q is better sound wise or elsewhere, I'll get it. Being they're the same price used it makes you wonder, and is what has brought me here. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Last edited by Rezisehtnys on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Micro Q/Blofeld

Postby Ashe37 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:37 am

The Blofeld has filter drive, user wavetables (a VSE user has even made wavetables out of the VFX wavetables) and a PPG filter mode. It can also load samples (requuires liscence SL on the desktop, keyobard coems with it) Note that Liscence SL is not required to load user wavetables.

The Micro Q only has 'five oscillators' if you count the sub oscillators as separate oscillators.

Some people feel the Blofeld sounds dull compared to the micro Q, but many that say that may not have tried the Blofeld's 'brightness' control.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Ah and the Q has a vocoder, knew there was something else. Then again get filter drive and the PPG filter and user wavetables with the Blofeld like you mentioned. That and the oscillator difference. Thanks for the response by the way. If anything this will be more for replacing the AN1x than the VFX, rather or not that equates to anything I don't know. Going to go through the manuals and compare those key areas along with the effects sections. Since I rely on internal effects it plays a role in my decision. I wish I had a way of playing with both in person first, but sadly I'm limited to what Guitar Center carries new.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Read through and apparently the Q does have a drive setting under the filter, and double checked the effects section and it has the same limitations as the Blofeld. Can't have reverb and delay at the same time... So it boils down to 2 sub oscillators and vocoder or PPG filter and user wavetables. I'm trying to think how often I'd use a vocoder... The one thing that does intrigue me is the Blofeld's display, it seems like it'd make editing a lot easier despite having less buttons and knobs.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Rezisehtnys » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:19 pm

So, been watching and attempting to buy and it seems like the Micro Q isn't any cheaper. So I suppose the Blofeld would make more sense since it'll physically fit in better with what I'm wanting. I'll never use the vocoder and the PPG filter and user wavetables seem like a better trade off anyway. I just have one question. After searching for more information and happening to recall myself, there were quality issues with the Blofeld? I can't find an article stating specifically what it was, just people bringing it up. I guess this was software related, as it looks like a fairly sturdy unit. That and nowadays no one seems to bring up an issue of quality.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:25 am

Micro Q has one huge advantage over Blofeld....the features described in the manual actually work :shock:

After some 14 OS revisions Blofeld still has bugs. Loyal users praise the sound but admit that it is not a reliable beast, with multi mode and MIDI clock synching being the worst offenders. I even read a post from one user who advised choosing which OS to install based on which features you need...some OS updates broke stuff that had previously worked fine :oops:

Read up on the bugs and make up your own mind if they are show stoppers for you.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:24 am

I love the Blofeld for it's vast madness in sound but you're right some bugs get you frowning. There is a place for this machine though and I will always turn to it for certain things.
zoomtheline

Postby Rick N Boogie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Blofeld is my favorite modern synth, bugs and all. So easy to program with the genius mod matrix and large display. Also sounds fantastic.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby Mino » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:31 pm

You can expand Micro Q to 75 voices, if you find an expansion board. That might be helpful for multitimbral situations. It also has 3 stereo outs.
Mino

Gear: Waldorf Q&XT
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Postby Rezisehtnys » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 pm

It still has bugs!? I would've thought surely by now it'd be sorted... I'll give a look through the OS revisions and associated bugs. MIDI clock sync I could care less about as I do everything by hand in real time, so if it's stuff like that I can be forgiving. Multi-mode bugs and the sort on the other hand I can't. Perhaps my initial instinct with the Micro Q was right, guess I'll see. I'll have to search some more once I get more time to do such.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Rezisehtnys » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 pm

I like how Blofeld OS 1.16 has been in beta for two years now... I did come across a website that listed all the faults. The clicking and stepping with the LFO and delay, along with multi-mode issues kind of kills it. This will be replacing my AN1x, and I need to be able to layer and split without having to worry about it freezing up on me. I had looked at a few Novation units as well but not all of them offered layering/splitting, that and the filters only being LP/HP/BP was kind of a let down. It just boggles me they haven't gotten around to the OS yet.
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 am

Waldorf is a small company and with new products needing support rolling out (Pulse, Rocket, Stromberg, Streichfett) there will probably never be a final 1.16 :cry:

As an engineer who writes software my feeling is the unit is a bit shy in CPU power and can't meet the demands of all the proposed features. So when they fix one bug, it creates another one in it's place.

It is a shame because it does sound very nice :?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Rezisehtnys » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:45 am

I was really looking into the Blofeld, but I suppose Micro Q it is. I rather be a little dated and reliable, than cutting edge and sketchy. Listening to videos of both on YouTube they both sound great, I just don't want to deal with bugs. I hate bugs, physical beings and software glitches alike. :P
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm

Was reading through the Micro Q manual again and apparently it responds to poly after-touch, I'd imagine it'd be the same with the Blofeld. Well, now I have to keep the VFX. :P
Rezisehtnys

KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Syncing the LFO's must take a lot of CPU power. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but the fact that it has to continuously monitor an incoming clock must eat up it's resources. If you're just using it as a really deep sound module, you will never run into bugs.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Next

Return to Buyer's Guide