MacBeth M5 Korg Kronos 73 sell it?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

MacBeth M5 Korg Kronos 73 sell it?

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Okay, I'm having a musical crisis of sorts. Should I sell these to keep my life more compact and simple? I have too much gear, methinks and the big pieces are taking up a lot of room. The M5, however, is a glorious piece of kit, but I have a couple of other analogues that are in storage. The Kronos concerns me because of all the negative press regarding build issues and software bugs, although, my K73 seem to be problem free. I also have a Korg M3.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Advertisement:

Re: MacBeth M5 Korg Kronos 73 sell it?

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 pm

If you don't need the money, keep the M5...too expensive to replace it if you need to in the future, not to mention that with so few units made it might be hard to find a seller anyway.

Kronos used prices are already falling fast (seen some K61s going for $1400-1500 recently), it would be easy to replace in the future.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:29 pm

After a conversation with the man himself, Ken told me the M5 I have is #36 of 60. The M5N went on to replace the M5 and I believe 60 were made of those. I do like the Element and figured that would replace the M5 if I needed to. I'm just not using the M5 that much. But, and that's a big but, that M5 is a sweet looking piece and I didn't pay as much as some have for it.

I think I need space more than $ anyway. Also, i feel like winding down. I've been experimenting with music and sound since 1978 and pretty much have had a lot of fun. But nowadays, it feels different.

About Kronos prices, I can see that too. Fortunetly I only paid a $1000 for mine and I replaced the fan and inspected all the bits inside, with a tech, and its tight. I've seen a Kronos sell for $500!!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Kronos73/Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Postby seamonkey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:39 pm

The M5 is a unique and wonderful sounding analog synth.
I've had similar emotions in the past and sold stuff(Andromeda, Minimoog Model D, Tascam 388 and JD800 that I regret to this day.

I have a system I use whenever I get the urge to "clean house", and that is I put it somewhere in storage, maybe bring out one of my stored synths and see how it feels to have it missing.
Sometimes it takes months, but I'll bring it back out and see if I still feel the same way.
By then, the gas I had for some new fangled synth thingy has passed and I'm glad I kept it.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric
seamonkey

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 pm

seamonkey wrote:The M5 is a unique and wonderful sounding analog synth.
I've had similar emotions in the past and sold stuff(Andromeda, Minimoog Model D, Tascam 388 and JD800 that I regret to this day.

I have a system I use whenever I get the urge to "clean house", and that is I put it somewhere in storage, maybe bring out one of my stored synths and see how it feels to have it missing.
Sometimes it takes months, but I'll bring it back out and see if I still feel the same way.
By then, the gas I had for some new fangled synth thingy has passed and I'm glad I kept it.

I had this regret when i sold my ARP 2600. That led to the purchase of the M5 when I came across one, so you're making sense. Thanks. The only way I'll regret selling the Kronos is if nothing goes wrong with it, but as soon as something does go wrong, I'll wish it were gone.
Phollop Willing PA

Postby synthroom » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:37 pm

My rule of thumb is to only sell stuff that's readily available AND cheap to replace. An ARP 2600 does not fall into that as it's not too hard to replace, but it's not going to be cheap. A JD-800, is both cheap ( less than $1000) and easy to fund used. Same with the Kronos.

Keep the M5 until you are flat broke, your house is about to foreclosed, and the only way to save the farm is sell the M5!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
synthroom

Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Well I do live mortgage free (the perks of being in an older age bracket). I doubt anyone around here (Nova Scotia) would buy an M5 if they were offered one and shipping is a pain and I'm a bit lazy. However, if someone showed up with a wad of cash and started counting out the bills, I'd be tempted on the spot.

My old ARP wasn't tracking right and it occupied the special FX section of the sound room. Also, I sold it in 1998 or thereabouts.
Phollop Willing PA

Postby silikon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Well, I have a similar perspective on this...

As you probably are somewhat aware, (since I was trying to lull you out of your M5 for a spell) I had been lusting for an M5/M5N for some time, and things worked out one day and I ended up with one. I paid somewhat of a premium for it, but I find standing in front of that big bastard quite inspiring. I don't know what Ken had in mind when he built that thing and if sheer girth was a specific design aesthetic, but it's imposing in a good sort of commanding way.

Barring the rarity and re-purchase factor, it's something (in my opinion) you should keep, even if you cover it with a sheet in the corner for a few months. Hold onto it, and if after a few more months of feeling like it's time to pack it in, then give that sale thing more consideration. I recall you intimating to me some personal feelings about the original purchase of the M5, so I hope you're considering those things as well.

I've had to literally slim down the studio from heaps of (beloved) synths and effects down to a small amount of machines. I've decided that I'm keeping the 5U stuff and the eurorack; I'm still considering what to do with the EML and the Matrix 12; I'm hoping I have the luxury of consideration either way, versus having to sell with certainty. I've already lost a few machines that I vowed to never let go of. It's quite depressing actually now that I think about it.

I'm keeping the M5. I've got an Inseqt Sequencer, a dual Sherman Filterbank, a Wretch Machine, and a Voyager and Moogerfoogers. If all else goes to hell, I have that, and that little setup could serve me well for the foreseeable future.

With the Kronos, you at least have the benefit of relatively easy replacement in the future if you end up with sellers' remorse. If you really feel cramped and needing to lighten the load, start there. Keep the M5. Re-Assess what you have in storage, and consider lightening there if that's not something that you can't live without. That's how I'd go about it if I were in that situation.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks for that heartfelt and thoughtful response.

Can you tell me a bit of the history of your M5? I could use a little diversion and also, do you have any sounds from the M5 I can hear?
Phollop Willing PA

Postby silikon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Thanks for that heartfelt and thoughtful response.

Can you tell me a bit of the history of your M5? I could use a little diversion and also, do you have any sounds from the M5 I can hear?

I have nothing out on soundcloud at the moment, and my studio is packed up ready to relocate, so I'm afraid I have nothing to pass on in terms of aural goodness.

The M5 I have is Ken's personal unit. I have verified this with Ken personally, and thought it was pretty wild that his personal system ended up crossing the pond and ending up here. I did a little more research and found out that Shawn Cleary (Analog Haven) out in California had bugged Ken for some amount of time, and Ken eventually gave in and sent it to him. From there, I don't know how many hands had played it, but it ended up here with me. If I take the rear panel off, there's a little note on the inside, perhaps a cheeky note from Ken or someone, but it denotes that it is indeed Ken's Personal Unit (tm). :D

...And the rest is history. It's staying. Unless I absolutely absolutely have to sell. At which point I'd probably have a meltdown, pack it in and sell off the rest too. (and use only computer and plugins)
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 pm

That's a beautiful story. It must be something like #2 of 60 or something… Have you written to Ken to ask him about this M5? What does the serial # say?
Phollop Willing PA

Postby pelican » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:00 am

Elements synth wouldn't replace the m5. The m5 is a moog sound and elements is a roland sound
pelican

Postby plikestechno » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Let me be the contrarian.

If you loved the Macbeth M5 you would use it more. You would not be thinking of selling it, you would not be looking for patch examples to rekindle your love for it.

If it was something that could be packed and shipped easily with minimal chance of drama it would be gone.

But you don't want to give it away, who would? It's rare and it IS worth a lot of money. Even if finding a buyer will be hard and shipping it safely even harder.

I'm at that point in my relationship with my EML 100. I like some of the things it can do but do I love it as much a my modular, my Octave Cat SRM, my Korg 770 and some of my other monos? Probably not. I use it more as a processor these days to really mess things up and grit things up through its preamp. Or send out the raw sounds and process them with better fillters. The oscillators and envelopes are still great.

If someone showed up on my doorsterp with 3500 dollars, or even a trade of equal value, I would sell it in two seconds but the chances of that happening are minus zero.

To get decent money or a decent trade, I'd have to ship it, and I'm not interested in doing that. Although I did ship my Prophet T8 out in November and it lived. But man was it a LOT of work and of course stress the whole time until it got there.

And a M5 would be even much more hassle. So here it sits and I enjoy it when I turn it on but enjoy other things much more.

I also ask myself, even if I did sell it, what would I do with the money? Blow it on garbage as I'm good for synths. Don't need anymore. Just sink it into equipment of similar value that I could always sell later, I guess. Or maybe I would love some new stuff.

But I'm in the same boat as well with you as well when it comes to some of my gear.

EDIT Ah, what the hell, the EML is up for sale.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:37 pm

I guess in the end I'm too lazy to try and sell and ship it.

Part of my concern, is that I've had a good careeer in experimental music and being retired, I'm thinking of downsizing except for my car, which may be getting bigger. My daughter has an interest in electronic music, but not as obsessive as me. The MacBeth Monolith may end up being her stone to bear. Who knows, if I pass this mortal coil, my estate sale might yield some incredible treasures.

I was lucky getting the Kronos cheap. But after much research, I found out why. The Kronos has a really bad track record for some owners and the problems concern me as not 'if' but 'when'. I wouldn't dare use it live in a bar. Maybe a recital, but even then…

So, a soft offer it is, like your EML. Show up with a ton of money, otherwise it's a family heirloom, like a grandfather clock.
Phollop Willing PA

Postby silikon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 am

[A]sk and ye shall receive.

echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Next

Return to General Synthesizers