Polysix VS Kiwisix

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Polysix VS Kiwisix

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Long story short, I've got a Polysix with a dead KLM-367 board. I can replace it with:

1: A brand new one for $160 + up to 12 weeks wait time. Drops right back in.

OR

2: The Kiwisix board + rebuilt power supply board for $550 + probably a couple of weeks wait time. Of course, there's a bit of installation work needed as well.

On one hand, the price for the stock board is the most attractive. On the other hand, it would be cool to have a full sized midi controller again, have the ability to be externally clocked, and to have the damn thing up and running in a shorter time period. If anything, I'm most drawn to getting it fixed ASAP.

Anybody have any experience with the upgrade? Worth the $$? I bought this as a dead Polysix, so I've yet to even hear it :mrgreen:
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Polysix VS Kiwisix

Postby Z » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:34 pm

I had KiwiSix installed on the most recent PolySix I acquired. I made a video a couple of months ago showing a couple of added features. The KiwiSix also adds MIDI and expanded patch memory.

If you can live without MIDI and the other features that go along with the KiwiSix, then just order the new board.

All the new features were not a big deal to me, but I ordered the KiwiSix along with 3 Kiwi106 upgrades, so Murray gave me a little discount and combined the shipping.

youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby sam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:04 pm

That's really good value for a new board....where do you find them. ?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:18 pm

Z - yeah, I'm thinking I really can do without that fancy midi stuff. I forgot there's an arp trigger in, so I'm all set for sync. I'll just have to put her in the closet for a few months, that's all! I guess that's one way to keep a synth around ;)

Sam - It's coming from: http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/korg/polysix/. But, there's also this one :http://www.synthprof.com/clone_367.html in your neck of the woods, if that helps!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Z » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Switched On in Austin might have the new boards in stock. They put one in a PolySix that I flipped last year.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby sam » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks.....they use the parts of your old board, I wondered how they could find all those parts for the price.

I am looking into manufacturing new boards....very interesting info. :D
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby corndogssg » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:36 pm

if it's a new polysix board for 160 that's a good price, I do love the kiwi guys, but that being said with how cool the new kiwi 106 is and the older kiwi jx3p is the kiwisix is the least cool in the kiwi upgrade dept. I am awaiting my kiwi106 in the mail, and feel like a kid on Christmas who knows they are getting an 8 bit Nintendo with Mario/duck hunt!!! :P
corndogssg

Gear: v synth, little phatty2, jx10, kiwi106, jx 305, jv2080x's8, k2600, ion, micron, evolver, tetra, x station, ultra nova, bass station2
Band: sesame street gangsters

Return to Synth Shootouts