Waldorf Pulse or Minibrute?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: Waldorf Pulse or Minibrute?

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:05 am

Bitexion wrote:Patch memory would increase the price, since you'd basically need an internal computer to send and read parameters to the synth, an LCD screen to show the parameters, put some RAM in there for storage, plus they'd lose the "completely 100% analog synth" gimmick thing aswell.

There was a market for the Minimoog Voyager Oldschool even, where they took a Voyager and removed all the digital stuff, including patch memory.

It has MIDI and USB. And a modern keyboard. The computer is already there.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Advertisement:

Postby Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:43 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Patch memory would increase the price, since you'd basically need an internal computer to send and read parameters to the synth, an LCD screen to show the parameters, put some RAM in there for storage, plus they'd lose the "completely 100% analog synth" gimmick thing aswell.

Actually that's not really the case. The midi interface only does pitch CV, gate, pitch bend and mod wheel. To have patch storage they would need each knob to be either replaced by an encoder (which would increase the price and mean the controls would no longer have infinite resolution) or add an ADC and VCA for each knob, which would be better in terms of control but hugely more expensive. It's not just a matter of 'it has a microprocessor in it so it can have patch memory'.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:57 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:

Actually that's not really the case. The midi interface only does pitch CV, gate, pitch bend and mod wheel. To have patch storage they would need each knob to be either replaced by an encoder (which would increase the price and mean the controls would no longer have infinite resolution) or add an ADC and VCA for each knob, which would be better in terms of control but hugely more expensive. It's not just a matter of 'it has a microprocessor in it so it can have patch memory'.

I said it the way i said it because Bitexion's statement made it sound like there wasn't a microprocessor in it at all. I understand the complexities involved.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby rob_lee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm

@OP

Matter of choice really. In my personal experience i had the Arturia synth for a day and sent it back (not for me)
The Bass Station 2 is what i have here from release day. It's great for me i love it. Then there's the Pulse 2, this is my favourite of the 3. I had months and months with it whilst testing and factory programming it. This synth has plenty going on inside.
Anyways just try out all 3 and take your pick that's the best way..

Rob
rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: The field “Gear” is too long, a maximum of 150 characters is allowed.
Band: Rob Lee

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 pm

I just wanted to share my Germanic filter love with y'all! :

Watch on youtube.com
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Postby plikestechno » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:02 am

Waldorf should be paying you money, Ned. Yours are some of the best Pulse 2 demos out there.

I imagine I will get one in time. Will wait for the price to drop a bit though here in North America. JRRShop had them 549 or 599 last Black Friday. Should have grabbed one then.
Serge/ModcanA/Frac/MOTM Modular/Blippoo Box/Andromeda/Jupe6Eur/OctaveCatSRM/CZ1/SEIV/Pro Soloist/Korg770/Juno60/MultimanS/Minibrute/Microbrute/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/MicrowaveXT/Syncussion/FS1R/Weevil2012/Microkorg/Xoxio/MC202/JD990/MKS50/TX816.
plikestechno

Gear: Lots. See sig.

Postby calaverasgrande » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:05 am

thing abotu patch storage and analog synths is that it not only means you need encoders or ADDA on each synth knob switch and fucntion, it also means a microprocessor and firmware updates!

I love the ability to save patches on my Taurus. But not saving patches, and not menu diving on my SH09 is just as fun!
While the T3 sounds amazing, it has also crashed a few times. A problem which has yet to transpire on grandpa SH09.

it really is not that hard to use patch sheets or an iphone to record patches manually.
But I only do that if I find a really unusual patch that is unconventional enough that I know I'll have a hard time repeating it.

But yeah, Minibrute. They feel kinda toyish, but sound neeeeeto!
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave
calaverasgrande

Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, MF105m, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Poly 61, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Atari Punk, Synsonics Drums, MDM MK I, Volcas
Band: N.S.V.

Postby Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:46 am

No patch on the MB is so complicated that it can't be saved to memory (aka, your brain). But anyway, I don't that was the OP's concern, so another vote for the MB here (p.s. buy an actual mixer while you're at it! :? )
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby Bitexion » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:15 am

The Minibrute's surface is pretty easy to take a cellphone pic of. Use that as patch memory :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:28 pm

Another exploration by yours truly of what the Pulse 2 can do, with a little help from Japan (TR-8 + SH-5):

https://soundcloud.com/ned-bouhalassa/tyrell-shakedown
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos: nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore
Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 1 Japanese, a young German, an old Brit and 2 fat Americans.

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers