James Newton Howard and Friends Yamaha DX cd

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

James Newton Howard and Friends Yamaha DX cd

Postby rodgre » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:12 am

The first cd I ever bought was this Sheffield Labs direct to disc cd called James Newton Howard and friends, which featured him and most of Toto playing some pretty decent jazz rock instrumentals demonstrating the new Yamaha DX synths. Anyone else familiar with it?

YouTube full cd
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
rodgre

Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Advertisement:

Re: James Newton Howard and Friends Yamaha DX cd

Postby rodgre » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 am

By the way, as a music snob, I realize how odd it is that I actually like a cd of LA studio cats wanking on DX7 presets, but as a teen, I loved this cd. I was never sure if it was all sequenced with live drums and percussion or if it was played live. Still an interesting piece of 80s synth history.
Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
rodgre

Gear: Roland GR-300, RS-09, Korg Mono/Poly, Monotron, Moog MG-1, Casio CZ-101, Arp Avatar, Moog Etherwave Theremin, Baldwin Syntha Sound, Alesis Micron.
Band: The Curtain Society

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Of course, back then "direct to disk" meant vinyl. Wonder if that sort of craziness will come back with today's vinyl revival.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Bitexion » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I got as far as the "saxophone solo" on the second track and had to stop.

Reminds me of this double album I had as a kid and listened to ALL the time,

Nova-World of Synthesizers. Basically a couple of dutch producers covering various pop songs on synths.
And some famous instrumentals of the time aswell of course, like Jarre's Oxygene (4), Jon&Vangelis, Axel F..

I've found it online as an adult, and it kind of makes me cringe listening to it today. It's from 1989.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Worl ... se/1281365

I did recognize Rob Papen's name now though, from the Predator/Blue/Blade soft synths.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby mootbooxle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Love that album!

I had the cassette as a kid and wore it out. My uncle got it with his Ford (remember stereo demo tapes?). My first real synth was a DX7-IIFD when I was 11 or 12 so that may explain why i liked that record so much.

Also the fact that I'd just started playing drums and someone gave me a Jeff Porcaro instructional video, so he was like my drumming hero.

For those curious:
James Newton Howard, David Paich, and Steve Porcaro: All Yamaha synths
Jeff Porcaro: Drums
Joe Porcaro: Percussion

This was a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab project, so everything was live in the studio, no overdubs, direct to disc!
I finally got a CD copy of this recently.
A great 80s curio, but in my opinion, still a very well done example of solid musicianship, solid engineering, and beautiful FM synthesis.
mootbooxle

Gear: Rhodes Suitcase 73, Wurly 206,
Dotcom Modular, Roland SH-3, Casio CZ-5000, Yamaha DX7 and DX100, Nord Lead 2X, Roland JV-1080, Korg Volca, Etc
Band: Moot Booxlé

Return to General Synthesizers