Yamaha DX5- Lights Up- No Sound- Missing Chip?- Pictures!!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha DX5- Lights Up- No Sound- Missing Chip?- Pictures!!

Postby harrydavis » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 pm

So I picked up a Yamaha DX5 locally for a GREAT price! The catch is that there are a few small problems that I'm still trying to sort out... think you can help?

The main problem is that I cannot get sound from any of the six main outputs (3 x XLR and 3 x 1/4"). Sound, glorious sound :D , will output from the headphone jack however. Also, I noticed that when I moved the Volume slider I'd get a crackling/scratchy sound out of the main outputs which stopped after I used deoxit on it. This leads me to believe that it's just a setting that has all the outputs turned off, but I can't seem to find what setting that could be. I've heard of the DX7 having a local mode that can turn on and off the outputs, but have yet to find or figure out anythings about it on the DX5. What do you think?

The second problem is that there's a chip missing!!!!! Well, I think there is anyway... see pics below. I'm guessing that this has something to do with the Cartridge A memory as the button to select Cartridge A for use doesn't work while Cartridge B works perfectly. Everything else seems to work fairly well for the most part. Any ideas? Also, how do these look for replacements (I can't seem to find only one): http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PSC-MBM27256-25-EPROM-SUPER-RARE-GOLD-PLATED-FACE-27256-VINTAGE-IC-/171167246030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27da5ce6ce

Thanks for reading and for the help!

More pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/64795550@N07/sets/72157644327352612/

harrydavis

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha DX5- Lights Up- No Sound- Missing Chip?- Pictures

Postby harrydavis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:29 am

Well, I was looking through eBay and found this DX5 and it appears the chip is missing in it as well (LINK). Perhaps it's just part of the design and the Cartridge A button just needs to be replaced. Time to bust out the multi-meter and see what's up... will update as I go.

Still lost on the output issue though!
harrydavis

Postby harrydavis » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:54 am

Definitely the button not passing the signal, is there any way to take it apart and fix it? Will post pics tomorrow.
harrydavis

Postby moremagic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:07 am

its likely not missing a chip; i used to have a later production run dx7 mk1 and it had an empty socket where a rom chip had originally gone, a minor hw revision upgraded the chip next door to more rom or w/e so they just left the empty ones there rather than fool around with it (until dx7ii at least)
an IC gone wouldnt leave you with anything remotely useful in the outputs anywhere, headphones or anywhere else. its some sort of output failure; the empty socket is unrelated
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Return to HELP!