Novation Bass Station 2 or MC-202?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Novation Bass Station 2 or MC-202?

Postby powerhibiki » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

I just got a chunk of money, 1000 dollars. I am looking for a first synth to buy. I am proficient in music theory and composition, so the MC-202's way of inputting individual note and rest lengths is not an issue. The real question is, is it really better (in sound, or features, or whatever) than the Bass Station 2? Is it worth the extra several hundred dollars I would have to pay for it? Or would I get the same or more in the Bass Station 2, with plenty of cash to spare?

Thank you.
powerhibiki

Advertisement:

Re: Novation Bass Station 2 or MC-202?

Postby madtheory » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 pm

You're paying extra for vintage. It's a fairly reliable box, but probably not as reliable as the Novation. The Novation is a more flexible synth, arguably better sounding, and you'd have a lot more fun with a DAW where you can sequence AND multitrack. Assuming you already have a computer with audio in that is capable of running something like Reaper...
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Fabreeze, Buck Owens Moog, Korg Warlock 9000, Roland Sultan of Brunei, Moog Ribald Cat.
Band: madtheory

Postby silikon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:39 pm

The Novation machine is quite a fun little machine for the price it's fetching. I don't find it anywhere near as 'sterile' and 'cold' as others describe it; The two filter types along with filter overdrive AND distortion post-filter allow for some nice sound. You can find it for far less than retail on eBay as well as a few online vendors, so I'd recommend you give that a go before sinking dollars in a vintage item such as the 202 (even though the 202 is also a fun machine).
echo 1 > /dev/awesome
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Postby powerhibiki » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:24 am

I am sure this is a silly question, but I have to ask anyway... I have been using the built-in sounds and drums in Ableton for many many months now... Are the sounds of a true analog synth like the Bass Station 2, a true upgrade? Is it worth it? If it helps, I am not a casual musician, I practice and compose a lot of stuff, I just want to know if it's worth getting the Bass Station, if it would be a huge upgrade over Ableton's built in sounds package.
powerhibiki

Postby pflosi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:28 am

Go to a store, check it and find out for yourself whether it's worth it... We can't tell you.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby cgren72 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:20 pm

pflosi wrote:Go to a store, check it and find out for yourself whether it's worth it... We can't tell you.

This.

And also, if having the immediate interface of the bass station isn't a plus, just stick with software IMO
cgren72

Return to Buyer's Guide