KORG - TRITON TAKTILE - review

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

KORG - TRITON TAKTILE - review

Postby william » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

Just picked one of these up, and I figured that many of you haven't played one yet.
4 versions - 2 with 512 TRITON sounds onboard, and 2 w/o.
(2 keyboard sizes)

I picked up the TRITON version, in a 49 key.

It has something insane like 80 note polyphony!? Who doesn't like that.

There are some very usable sounds in this unit, and It's quite 'friendly' to learn.
Great to have a good assortment of drums and percussion too.
A great little axe to take to a jam or rehearsal, as the sounds will probably be enough to get you through the basics.

A few key problems: you CAN alter the 512 sounds, a LITTLE bit, in real time, (sliders, knobs, and an X/Y pad) but you CAN'T SAVE those (envelope/filter) changes - really a huge pain.

There are some great organ sounds, but I can't find a way to simulate a Leslie speed change - drag (C'mon, even a $4 app will do that these days I think).

The effects are preselected, and the actual amount of effects you can add is very limited, too bad.

The only way to get audio out that I can see, is a 1/8" mini plug - REALLY?

Also, it has a MIDI input jack, you can't get MIDI out unless you use the USB, again - limiting.

The system of stepping through the presets, etc. (ribbon controller) is very frustrating at times - there should be a set of physical '+ & -' buttons.

It also doesn't come with a PSU, so if you're NOT using a computer with it, just playing the internal sounds, you have to buy a USB.2 power supply.

I'm still very pleased with the unit. The key bed is pretty good and, although the display is really, really limited, I think a lot of people will find it useful for all sorts of stuff. It's never going to be anyone's main instrument, but it's a good 'bag of sounds' - to go. REALLY light. All the connections are on the side, works pretty well actually.

And after 40 years of owning hardware, I think it's the first keyboard that doesn't have the manufacturers name on the back - really, not even in small letters.

Sleek.

SwissArmyKeyboard.
william

Advertisement:

Re: KORG - TRITON TAKTILE - review

Postby Aaron2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the review. I've been intrigued by the Taktile series, although I'd probably get the non-Triton version since I want just an all-purpose MIDI controller. I like the way it looks. Before I buy, I'll have to go to Guitar Center and play one, I guess.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby Bitexion » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:35 pm

Is it esentially a preset box with no editing functionality? Kind of like the Oberheim M1000 but with a keyboard? Never heard of this thing before..I liked the Triton sound.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby william » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Bitexion wrote:Is it esentially a preset box with no editing functionality? Kind of like the Oberheim M1000 but with a keyboard? Never heard of this thing before..I liked the Triton sound.

That's right. I guess it's great for beginners or someone??
Frustrating, because it's SO close to being a really hot little item. Many of the sounds are truly excellent.

I'm sure as a controller for Ableton, etc., it is good enough that people will be buying it primarily as a controller.
I used it as a controller for Logic Pro X last night, and the integration was much better than some of the hardware controllers I've tried.

Basically, cool, but limited IMHPO.
william

Postby Bitexion » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 pm

OK, so we can say it's a good MIDI keyboard w/ 512 Triton rompler sounds inside then :)
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Percivale » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:21 am

Strictly from physical attributes, I was checking it out at a music store the other day. Feels really plastic-ky and wobbly. Pads felt uninspiring. I did not had the opportunity to sound it though. If that is not a dummy set, I do not think it is good at all :geek:

I should qualify that I tried it weeks before official release.
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby william » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:41 am

Percivale wrote:Strictly from physical attributes, I was checking it out at a music store the other day. Feels really plastic-ky and wobbly. Pads felt uninspiring. I did not had the opportunity to sound it though. If that is not a dummy set, I do not think it is good at all :geek:

I should qualify that I tried it weeks before official release.

Agreed - not exactly high end build... but hey, the flip of that is, it's light enough you could almost throw it in a backpack and cycle to the jam session with it.

Like I said, this isn't going to be anyone's prime board - it's a cheap, light, multi-purpose thing for use when your needs are minimal. (OK - yeah, in one way, that makes it more poorly made, unnecessary shite, we think we can use, but is REALLY just a new gadget ...bound for the landfill shortly)

;0)
william

Postby Ashe37 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 am

My roomate got the non-Triton Taktile 25 because the Triton version wasn't available when he bought it. He much prefers it over the M-Audio Axiom it replaced.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:04 am

Sounds like they are aiming at the Yamaha MX which is a low-cost board with presets based on the Motif XS engine. MX has some controller features but not as versatile in that regard as Taktile.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Re: KORG - TRITON TAKTILE - UPDATE

Postby william » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 am

OK, had this thing for a month or whatever, so now I can be clearer:

This unit has loads of great features, and is very portable. You could pretty much pop it in a backpack and go to a jam session - it's that light and small.

I'm not going to list the wonderful features here - Korg does that on their site - I'm going to give you my short overview of it's strengths and limitations.

Strengths:
• some of the (Triton) sounds are truly incredible
• the pads feel pretty good
• pads - good colour reference
• the keybed feels quite good
• very portable

Weaknesses:
• the ability to alter the sounds is very limited
• these alterations can NOT be saved to memory - bummer
• the effects are few, subtle and can't really be exaggerated
• the system for selecting patches is a total joke
(you should have seen me at a live gig last night, trying to get from one to another quickly - ribbon controller type access only - pathetic)
• 1/8" headphone jack style audio out, flimsy
• plastic switches and knobs feel cheap
• the display is not very informative

All that said, if you can get one cheap enough, the sounds are so great that someone who is a bit more of a novice, may be blown away and have loads of fun with it. Perhaps a good starter unit, but if you do any live gigs that are the least bit demanding, this thing is going to piss you off, over and over again.

Sold it.
william

Postby julthep » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks william for your helpful review. I'm considering to buy taktile-49, but not sure which one, with TRITON sound or not.

Just want to ask you a question: specifications page on Korg website states that TRITON taktile has "1 timber only". I'm trying to think that they meant its single-timbre in performance mode without any split/layer. But how about (USB-)MIDI-in tone generator, is it multi-timbre/multi-channel capable?

Thank you very much.
julthep

Return to General Synthesizers