"Name that synth"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby meatballfulton » Fri May 02, 2014 6:55 pm

OK, here's what I think.

It sounds like a Moog, 3 choices are Moogs (not Micromoog because that only has one VCO right?) and with that type of sound it wouldn't be possible for me to tell Model D from Voyager. I don't think it sounds at all like a typical ARP sound, it sounds like a typical Moog sound. So if your point is you can't really tell from listening, it must be the ARP. :help:

BTW the answer to mine (with no choices provided so it could be anything, right?) is Reason 2.5...Subtractor plus a Redrum for the percussion. My thought was simple: some people would never guess Reason just because they think Reason sounds like sh*t esp. compared to Motif, Evolver, Radias, etc. that people guessed.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3703
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Advertisement:

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby vicd » Fri May 02, 2014 7:29 pm

Hint #7 : don't even bother listening to the track, just use the synthfinder right at the top of the page :mrgreen: .
meatballfulton has already told too much in his hints...

PS: I was going to bet on Reaktor :roll:

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!
User avatar
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 am
Location: Siberia
Real name: Victor
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby briandc » Fri May 02, 2014 9:46 pm

I wouldn't have guessed Reason but I also wouldn't have guessed many of the other softsynths just because I don't know them very well. That's kind of why I want to keep it to just a few specific synths, and see if people can determine the right one.

Hint: It's not the ARP2600. :)


brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
User avatar
briandc
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am
Real name: brian
Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby synthroom » Sat May 03, 2014 3:01 pm

It reminds me of my Minimoog, so I'll go with that.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.
User avatar
synthroom
Active Member
Active Member
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: pdx
Real name: Kirk
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby briandc » Sun May 04, 2014 7:51 am

I'll wait another day or two and then give the answer. Anyone else?..



brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
User avatar
briandc
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am
Real name: brian
Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby Rezisehtnys » Sun May 04, 2014 8:21 am

I need to feel up to making some demos, still in the midst of shuffling gear around though.
User avatar
Rezisehtnys
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 am
Location: Springville, AL
Real name: Casey
Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun May 04, 2014 11:45 am

briandc wrote:I'll wait another day or two and then give the answer. Anyone else?..


brian


It sounds like a Micromoog...
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
User avatar
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: UK
Real name: Dan Wilson
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby briandc » Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 am

And the correct answer is.....

..Micromoog! :)


Someone else have a hardware demo to post?


brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
User avatar
briandc
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am
Real name: brian
Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby HideawayStudio » Tue May 06, 2014 1:32 pm

briandc wrote:And the correct answer is.....

..Micromoog! :)


Someone else have a hardware demo to post?


brian


8-) Thought so.. The voltage controlled continuously variable waveshaper and variable sub oscillator are what really makes this little synth stand out along with it's great filter - it sounds much more beefy than you'd expect from a single VCO synth.

Very different to my Model D but sufficiently different that its worth having the two.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
User avatar
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm
Location: UK
Real name: Dan Wilson
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby meatballfulton » Tue May 06, 2014 3:15 pm

So the waveshaper is what makes it sound like more than one VCO at points? Interesting to hear that.

Wonder why Moog didn't spend more time developing that idea.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3703
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby briandc » Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 am

HideawayStudio wrote:
8-) Thought so.. The voltage controlled continuously variable waveshaper and variable sub oscillator are what really makes this little synth stand out along with it's great filter - it sounds much more beefy than you'd expect from a single VCO synth.

Very different to my Model D but sufficiently different that its worth having the two.


This is good info to know. Many synths have "unique" capabilities that make them special.

Anyone else willing to do a demo to quiz us on? :?:


brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
User avatar
briandc
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am
Real name: brian
Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby Cybercardinal » Sat May 10, 2014 3:14 am

How do I upload an audiofile? :oops:
User avatar
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:16 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby briandc » Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 am

Cybercardinal wrote:How do I upload an audiofile? :oops:


The way I did it was to upload the file to a virtual space and then post the link to it. Ubuntu One is an example of a place where you can have free virtual space (up to 2GB at the moment, iirc..).

Or, if you are registered at Soundcloud you could upload it there.

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
amSynth.com
amSynth on Soundcloud
User avatar
briandc
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:38 am
Real name: brian
Gear: 2 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Re: "Name that synth"

Postby SeventhStar » Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 am

Cybercardinal wrote:How do I upload an audiofile? :oops:


How do you get a date with that horsie rider girl in your Avatar?

I'll probably be Sound Cloud'in here in the future.. That's how I was thinking of uploading some analog goodness..
User avatar
SeventhStar
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 am
Location: AZ
Gear: Sequential MULTI-TRAK, DARK STAR, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], mharris80 and 17 guests