Should I Buy a Novation Bass Station II?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Should I Buy a Novation Bass Station II?

Postby powerhibiki » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:00 am

Hello all, I am originally a guitar player who has fallen in love with electronic music. I purchased a TR-707 about a year ago and loved it. For the past 6 months or so I have been making music with Ableton Live's built in sounds (Using my computer mouse and keyboard, inputting the notes manually). And now, I want to make the jump to a full analog synthesizer.

Now here is the thing: I am not a keyboard player. I want a synthesizer akin to the MC-202, in which I can manually program the length of each note (16th notes, 8th notes, etc) accurately, without having to rely on the playing skills of my hands at all. With that said, the MC-202 is a little out of my price range. I have found the Novation Bass Station II. It seems that it sounds great, and it is just completely loaded with features and sound possibilities. What I basically want to know, is... when using a synthesizer like the Bass Station II, is there any way to operate it as accurately as something like the MC-202? Or does it rely fully on your own physical ability and accuracy to play? Would I rely on Ableton Live to sequence things accurately?
powerhibiki

Advertisement:

Re: Should I Buy a Novation Bass Station II?

Postby Rezisehtnys » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:51 am

The Bass Station II has a built in sequencer, I'd imagine it'd be fairly featured.

Skim the manual: http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/si ... uideen.pdf
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby powerhibiki » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 am

Hmm it seems that the sequencer does not work quite like that of an MC-202. It does not store the length of notes and rests. I suppose I would have to rely on Ableton to do my more detailed sequencing then.
powerhibiki

Postby Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Note length can be changed by programming the same note consecutively. It simply plays that note for longer.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby molson » Tue May 06, 2014 8:56 pm

I come from a guitar focused background as well and I have the Bass Station II and really like it. I think it is a fairly painless introduction to synthesis with some great features. I would recommend the Arturia Microbrute as the best introduction to analog synthesis, but the Bass Station definitely can provide a more complex soundset with the dual tunable oscillators and similar learning curve.
molson

Postby corndogssg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am

for the money the bs2 is 2nd hand, it's a easy grab for a lot of people just getting into analog synth's and people who have a music store worth of gear too. I picked one up four months or so ago, and it's right up their with my micron for size being the best 2 octave synth I have every played. (never played a moog sub phatty though, lol I bought a little phatty s2 because it had 3 octaves vs 2)
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:57 am

look into the Analogfour.

Edit: That was for the OP, Didn't know it was an old thread.
zoomtheline

Return to Buyer's Guide