Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi,

when playing my DX21 yesterday I noticed a few of the (factory preset) voices had one or two characters in their displayed names changed - for instance, <<WOW>> had turned to <.GOW>>, and Full Ranks to F5ll Ranks. The sounds themselves are unaltered, and also available for free as MIDI files if I should need to restore them.

Am I right to believe that I should consider changing the CR2032 battery soon, and possibly add a battery holder clip when doing so (so I won't have to solder again when it is due the next time)?

Also, I observed a strange phenomenon with the S/H Synth sound a while ago - it is much quieter than it used to be?!

Edits - 3 typos corrected
Last edited by Weirdofromouterspace on Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: Yamaha DX7IID, Yamaha DX21, Arturia Minibrute, E-MU ESI-32, and loads of non-synth instruments

Advertisement:

Re: Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Postby pflosi » Thu May 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah a replacement is due.

Corrupt patches in DX synths can corrupt the rest of the memory, so if those corrupted patches are not important to you I'd immediately initialize them. And sysex-transfer the rest to a save place like your computer.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 am

Hi pflosi,

thanks a lot for your confirmation :thumbsup: , I ordered a battery holder and a battery yesterday.

Losing patches is, luckily, no problem since they are easily available for download as MIDI files. I also have intructions on how to do a factory reset in case the memory is/becomes corrupted :-).
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: Yamaha DX7IID, Yamaha DX21, Arturia Minibrute, E-MU ESI-32, and loads of non-synth instruments

Postby moremagic » Fri May 09, 2014 4:54 pm

id keep the battery in place with elctrical tape if youre putting it in a holder, so it wont get loose or fall out accidentally when moving the instrument
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby KingVidiot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Good info, but just to verify is it a CR2302 battery or a CR2032 battery?

Also, what is the reset procedure? It's not in the manual.
KingVidiot

Postby db0451 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:24 am

Older Yamaha synths had no defined reset procedure, just a requirement to re-load all the sounds and deliberately re-change all the options (as sometimes they can attain corrupted/illegal values and cause strange behaviour). I did this when I bought a supposedly broken DX7: it was claimed faulty but in reality, seemed merely to have had a bump and temporarily lost power from its battery – which held the re-filled RAM for weeks until I replaced it with a holder.

Course, if the DX21 does have a procedure, a search should find it for you, as it would also verify the battery type.

id keep the battery in place with elctrical tape if youre putting it in a holder, so it wont get loose or fall out accidentally when moving the instrument
I would tape the top of it in any case. I had a TX81Z that seemed unable to hold its memory despite various fixes to the (somewhat damaged) battery circuit, until I realised that the battery was simply shorting against the metal case lid and dropping the memory for that reason. When it came time to put a holder in my V50, I had to do the same thing – as the bottom of the case ended up pressing on the battery, which I had cheekily mounted on the solder side of the PCB, in order to make hypothetical future replacements a lot easier.
db0451

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:11 pm

KingVidiot wrote:Also, what is the reset procedure? It's not in the manual.

I didn't have to reset mine, I just turned it on after having installed the new battery, and uploaded sounds (Sysex files) using MidiOx. Just make sure the memory protect is turned off.

There is also a service manual for the DX21. I posted a download link here.

Edit:

Re: DX-21 no sound

by Clyde » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Factory resets can correct issues sometimes. A failed battery will have to be replaced and then a factory reset done after the replacement. The Yamaha support FAQs are currently being updated and many FAQs are not coming up in the search. So here is how to enter the test modes which should do a factory reset. Any voices in RAM should be saved prior to reset and be reloaded after the reset. From "Ghost in the Machine" by Mark Davis from May 1989 Electronic Musician:
"DX21/27:Enter test mode by pressing voice buttons 1 and 2 while turning on the power. This will display the ROM version and date. Before proceeding to the next test, make the following connections: cassette out to the input of an amp, the amp out to the cassette in (set for 10dB gain), and connect Midi in to Midi out. Pressing the Yes button will begin the RAM, Midi, and I/O test. A missing or bad connection will cause an error connection. You can reboot at this point, the RAM will be initialized."
In the two or so years I had a DX21 in the mid '80s, I never did a factory reset (nor replaced the battery), so I have no real experience with this function. I personally think you have either an improper connection, bad cable, volume slider issue, and/or possibly the bad battery issue. Battery replacement is not a major issue, anyone handy with electronics repair can unsolder the old battery and solder in a new CR2032 3v lithium battery. You can purchase one with the solder tags already attached which keep you from having to solder directly on the battery, I pay $3.00-$4.00 US for them.
Clyde

Source: http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... e55#p20401

The service manual I mentioned above includes a description of the test mode.
Weirdofromouterspace

Return to HELP!