Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Thu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi,

when playing my DX21 yesterday I noticed a few of the (factory preset) voices had one or two characters in their displayed names changed - for instance, <<WOW>> had turned to <.GOW>>, and Full Ranks to F5ll Ranks. The sounds themselves are unaltered, and also available for free as MIDI files if I should need to restore them.

Am I right to believe that I should consider changing the CR2032 battery soon, and possibly add a battery holder clip when doing so (so I won't have to solder again when it is due the next time)?

Also, I observed a strange phenomenon with the S/H Synth sound a while ago - it is much quieter than it used to be?!

Edits - 3 typos corrected
Last edited by Weirdofromouterspace on Fri May 09, 2014 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: Yamaha DX7IID, Yamaha DX21, Arturia Minibrute, E-MU ESI-32, and loads of non-synth instruments

Advertisement:

Re: Battery replacement required? (Yamaha DX21)

Postby pflosi » Thu May 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Yeah a replacement is due.

Corrupt patches in DX synths can corrupt the rest of the memory, so if those corrupted patches are not important to you I'd immediately initialize them. And sysex-transfer the rest to a save place like your computer.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Fri May 09, 2014 8:52 am

Hi pflosi,

thanks a lot for your confirmation :thumbsup: , I ordered a battery holder and a battery yesterday.

Losing patches is, luckily, no problem since they are easily available for download as MIDI files. I also have intructions on how to do a factory reset in case the memory is/becomes corrupted :-).
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: Yamaha DX7IID, Yamaha DX21, Arturia Minibrute, E-MU ESI-32, and loads of non-synth instruments

Postby moremagic » Fri May 09, 2014 4:54 pm

id keep the battery in place with elctrical tape if youre putting it in a holder, so it wont get loose or fall out accidentally when moving the instrument
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Return to HELP!