Roland Juno 106 Dead Keys

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland Juno 106 Dead Keys

Postby p964 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm

I am new to this board and must confess not a musician - I bought a Roland Juno 106 keyboard at an auction for my son (who wants to learn how to play a keyboard). When I got the keyboard home noticed that there were a few keys that did not play. It followed a pattern of 2 dead keys followed by 4 working followed by 2 dead for the first left hand side of the keyboard (the right hand side works fine). I did the test for the voice chips and all 6 showed that they were functioning. I took the keyboard apart and cleaned the contacts with alchol and still no change. All other functions of the keyboard seem to work fine just 6 dead keys. Any suggestions on what to do next?
p964

Advertisement:

Re: Roland Juno 106 Dead Keys

Postby Z » Thu May 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Sounds like you have defective 80017a Filter/Amp chips which is a common problem with Juno 106.

Many people have good result soaking the chips in acetone, removing the black casing that has become conductive over time.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby p964 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:40 pm

That is what I thought as well - I saw many posts on the internet about this problem. The part that confuses me though is that I performed the test procedure that was listed on the internet and it showed that all 6 voice chips were functioning.
p964

Postby madmarkmagee » Thu May 01, 2014 3:14 pm

haha why did you buy him a juno 106? How much did you pay for it?

Disclaimer: I'm no tech :lol:

does the problem effect keys completely randomly or do selected keys not work? If the problem is completely random then it's probably the Chip problem. If the problem only effects a key or certain keys (for example the middle C key and no other keys), then the problem is the keys connection.

I've had problems with 106 VCF/VCA chips and in my case the effected voice would trigger sometimes cleanly, sometimes come out distorted and sometimes wouldn't play at all. (perhaps this could explain why the test worked?)

The course of action you should take depends on

How much you paid for the synth.

Whether you want to keep the synth if it involves an expensive repair. You need to find a tech/vertify the problem, then if it is the VCF/VCA buy six of these http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/D80017/ . (my juno currently needs repair because I only replaced 3 of the buggers (pardon my obscene Australia-english) and another has gone.

Then you must decide whether to keep/repair the synth or just sell the synth for repair and perhaps not lose money or not lose to much(thats why I want to know how much you paid?). Then go and buy your son a roland gaia :lol:. A good learning synth that's also cheap and reliable. The 106 was my first synth I bought when I was a poor adolescent student and it blew up, I didn't have money to get it repaired or buy a new synth and went synthless till I left school !).
madmarkmagee

Gear: Korg R3
ESQ-1
Tetra
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Postby p964 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:05 pm

Well I only paid $200 for the keyboard so I should be in good shape - the problem only impacts 6 keys on one side of the keyboard (they are paired in 2) and they just do not play at all. I already cleaned them and all of the other keys appear to work just fine with all functions on the Juno. I am trying to decide if I try replacing/repairing the chips or is this a connectivity problem within the keyboard.
p964

Postby Z » Thu May 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Is it always the same 6 keys that aren't working? If so, it might just be dirty key contacts. Easy to fix yourself with some alcohol pads.

Here's a video of a buddy of mine cleaning the contacts on an Oberheim OB-8 that I sold late 2013.

I think we're talking about the Kiwi106 upgrade at the beginning of the video.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby p964 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:00 pm

I saw a similiar video and cleaned the keys/contacts last night - they still do not work (the same 6 keys). It makes me think that it is a connection issue. I took a penny and touched 2 of the leads together the bad key and the good key next to it I could get the key to work temporarily.
p964

Postby Z » Thu May 01, 2014 8:13 pm

I can sell you a keybed without keys for $50 plus shipping if it comes down to needing a new keybed.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Rezisehtnys » Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 pm

p964 wrote:I saw a similiar video and cleaned the keys/contacts last night - they still do not work (the same 6 keys). It makes me think that it is a connection issue. I took a penny and touched 2 of the leads together the bad key and the good key next to it I could get the key to work temporarily.

Could be a bad trace or wire somewhere that's needs repaired. I had a similar issue once and it ended up being a trace that lead off where the harness plugged in. A multi-meter to determine continuity would come in handy to test for a bad trace, wire, or solder joint.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby p964 » Fri May 02, 2014 2:47 am

I went out this evening and bought a multimeter and found a bad trace on the board. I am going to go out tomorrow and get a conductive pen to repair the trace. This trace fixes half of the keys so I need to look a little deeper to find the other trace that must be bad on the board. Thank you for the advice!!
p964

Postby Rezisehtnys » Fri May 02, 2014 3:06 am

Glad it was something easy after all, what I did was I made a jumper wire and soldered it in. Conductive pen should work though as long as it's a good one.
Rezisehtnys

Gear: Ensoniq VFX
KORG Monotron
KORG Triton
Peavey Fury 1992
Peavey KB-300
Peavey Milestone 1984
Roland JX-8P
Waldorf Micro Q
Yamaha KX5
Yamaha SY77

Postby Percivale » Fri May 02, 2014 7:20 am

Thanks for sharing. I may need to use this know-how one day.. :lol:
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Postby Steve Jones » Fri May 02, 2014 11:02 am

It's quite common to find Juno 106's with dead keys in a pattern if a previous user has sweated into the keyboard action. The damaged traces can be difficult to see as the corrosion occurs beneath the green coating. I usually solder fine Kynar wire to jump the open circuit traces.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

http://www.synthrepairs.com
Steve Jones

Postby Percivale » Sun May 11, 2014 1:51 am

Thanks to inputs from members I fixed a range of 8 dead semi-tone keys on my Juno-106! Problem was a broken circuit (now bridged). A broken key was also replaced. I took the opportunity to wash keys and clean up dirt/dust when it got disassembled.

6 voices worked fine. The black plastic wraps might corrode one day but otherwise, worked good :drinks:
Percivale

Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Return to HELP!