Moonsifter -- Oberheim matrix + Eventide Space

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Moonsifter -- Oberheim matrix + Eventide Space

Postby acemonvw » Thu May 15, 2014 3:42 pm

I moved within the city I reside in... Having dismantled my studio and set it up in the new place, I've had hardly any motivation to write music. I sit down, it doesn't feel 'right'. It doesn't feel like my place... So either I fall asleep in my chair or I get up and leave. Either way, the music doesn't get written.

I finally forced myself to record something and post it on YouTube... here's that endeavor. Enjoy!

Watch on youtube.com
acemonvw

Advertisement:

Re: Moonsifter -- Oberheim matrix + Eventide Space

Postby Infinity Curve » Thu May 15, 2014 5:41 pm

Beautiful!! I've been tempted by the Matrix 1000 lately. They seem to keep popping up locally lately, but I'm trying to avoid getting any new gear for a while.

Hope you settle into the new place soon.
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3
Band: Infinity Curve

Postby acemonvw » Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Thanks!

I wouldn't spend more than $350 on one if you do want it. I actually got my first one for $50. Sold it soon after I got a Virus... but really wanted it back. Now that I have it, I sort of go, 'meh' again... and wonder if it was worth the money :/

I do have a few months worth of eBay purchases of it and the Matrix 6... if you want it, I will share the link so you can see average prices that you COULD expect to be paying. And try to go below that!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkifkpgkizgvo ... 01000.xlsx
acemonvw

Postby Infinity Curve » Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 pm

I've been seeing them fairly regularly locally on Craigslist for $300-$400. I'm just to the point after the last few years of buying, selling and trading so I could try out all of the stuff I was interested in that I tend to hesitate when I get it in my head to buy something else now. Between the Polysix, Juno106 and the Virus I'm pretty well covered as far as poly's go. It just seems a convenient package for that Oberheim sound without adding another 61 key keyboard to the mix. I have to switch my setup around depending on what I want to use already as it is.

Actually been really digging into the Poly mode on the Monomachine - quite capable of some really neat complex, evolving pads. Did you end up getting yours sorted out?
Infinity Curve

Gear: Juno 106, SH101, Virus TI2 Polar, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, , MPC2500, Maschine, System 10, System 3

Postby acemonvw » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Yeah, I know how you feel. I just bought a TX7, a DW-8000, an Oberheim Matrix and then I stopped and I'm like, wtf am I doing getting all these. I don't need all this stuff!

I will say this, I cannot get my virus to sound like my Matrix1000. However... you have a polysix. That to me makes it seem like you do NOT need any other analog poly!

Also, no, I haven't gotten my monomachines sorted. I have to call the place that has them! It's been almost two months and haven't heard anything! Almost want to call them and just pick up my shit and have someone else work on them!
acemonvw

Postby Infinity Curve » Thu May 15, 2014 9:25 pm

That sucks! I've actually been considering getting a second Monomachine since I realized how awesome Poly mode is, but then I think if I am going to do that, might as well expand the sonic palette and go for the Analog Four. But then I think, ugh, then I have to learn a new interface again and I won't get anything done for a while. Slippery slope, this gear business, haha.

As for the Polysix, it is an awesome synth, but I literally got that like 2 weeks before I got the 106 dropped in my lap out of the blue in a trade from another local I've had multiple dealings with, and immediately swapped them out so I could use the 106 for the DCO competition. Haven't really dug into it too much yet, but it's sweet spot seems to be smaller than the 106 for me, and it sounds more 'harsh' and 'dark' I guess, hard to describe - but night and day with the 106. Really like it, just need to sit down and program it a bit and see what I can make it do. Probably going to install a midi kit on it too. Luckily it was completely overhauled by the best tech in the city just before I got it, so aside from beat up end panels, it's perfect! Unsure if I want to go to the effort and expense to replace the wood, but we shall see.
Infinity Curve

Postby Stab Frenzy » Fri May 16, 2014 2:37 am

That sounded really nice! Love the sound of the Space.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby acemonvw » Fri May 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Thanks Stab Frenzy.

I agree. Eventide Space was so worth the money. I was skeptical at first and was actually really ashamed for spending that kind of money on a reverb pedal. But I no longer feel bad for the purchase, it can make even shit synths sound good (not that the OM1000 is shit).
acemonvw

Return to The Listening Lounge