Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Re: Roland TR-707 vs Sequential Circuits Drumtraks

Postby megamanx » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:18 pm

yamaha rx11, over the TR 707, seriouly underrated drummachine. It has individual outs, can be bought for p nuts, you can change the drum sounds, built out of metal, good interface, etc...TR 707 is way overrated, I didn't like the sound of it when I bought one...
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, leipzig, analog4, t.oberheim sem, Chroma polaris,
Band: Thieves & Co.

Advertisement:

Postby smoinync » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 am

I got both, but when it comes to choosing one, I would choose drumtraks, not to be kept. And keep 707 cuz it has faders, it tends to be really handy when a submix isn't available, u can still de/activate preferable drum kits. Sure, you can do it with drumtraks, but not multiple.
smoinync

Postby max badwan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:32 pm

On the plus side for the DrumTracks - you can swap out the chips for Linn and Oberheim DMX sounds (or burn your own), every step for each instrument in a pattern can have individual tuning and accent levels, and it's got wooden end-cheeks.
On the plus side for the 707 - the graphic LCD, and the Roland clap sound.
max badwan

Gear: T1, XV 5080, JV 2080, VariOS (VC1), S 760, MKS 7/50/70, EX 8000, Poly 800, K 5000s, K 1000PX, K 1000GX, Mirage
Logic, Cubase, Reason

Postby monolith » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 am

The 707 is great for its aforementioned live jamming possibilities, I've spet countless hours with it triggering old Roland synths. The drumtraks sounds far better in my opinion, in fact I personally think its the best sounding drum machine I've ever heard. It sounds pretty much how I like a live kit to sound when I Mic one up - that dry 70's disco sound or like AIR's virgin suicides soundtrack

If I was making more dance/electronic oriented music the 707 would be my choice but if you need some human feel the Drumtraks is the way to go. I don't even use the swing settings, just put the quantise on 96 and go to town on it. If you utilise the accents well it can make some incredibly swinging breaks.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby 8bit9bot » Sat May 17, 2014 3:27 pm

i would pick drumtraks because of the switchable eproms for sure - also the 707 is super plasticy... like a nintendo controller - sequential makes pretty heavy duty stuff... even their budget gear

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Postby chipaudette » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 pm

ninja6485 wrote:I can't imagine two machines with more polorized toms. The 707's are static, dated and campy, while the drumtrax are deep and powerful, almost tribal.

Truth. I have a 707. I never use the Toms. They're bad. The 707's kick, snare, and hats (and clap, of course) are pretty rockin', but the toms stink. If they were tuneable, I bet they'd be more useful.

An often unmentioned feature of the 707 is that it actually has two kick sounds and two snare sounds. The two variants are not hugely different (one is more muffled/muted than the other), but it does provide some most-welcome variety in this otherwise-static machine.

Chip
chipaudette

Previous

Return to Synth Shootouts