SCI Prophet 600 vs Oberheim Matrix 6

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

SCI Prophet 600 vs Oberheim Matrix 6

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Thu May 22, 2014 6:22 pm

First off, please excuse my rambling post below.
I have two Prophet 600s, and was going to use both of them, but that hasn't really panned out. I do love the 600 sound, but I'm not sure if I need two in my arsenal. I was going to chain them together for a 12 voice beast, but I just haven't. It's not as if the 600 is a particularly "lush" synth that I would go to for something that would require the extra voices...although I can see some interesting sonic possibilities.

I do long for that classic Obie sound. I know it's dual VCO vs dual DCO, but the Matrix 6 from the videos I've seen has that vibe. At the end of the day I want a poly that doesn't step on the toes of the other polys I have (Juno/Prophet/Poly Evovler).

The Matrix is tedious as sin to program, but it looks as though there are a few options out there to add some knobs. Either the BCR or ObiMagiX6000. I don't really want to go the software editing route, but it may be a necessity.

What are the comparisons sound-wise?
Will I miss those VCOs?
How is the filter of the Matrix, more aggressive than say a Juno?
Zmeinogorsk

Advertisement:

Re: SCI Prophet 600 vs Oberheim Matrix 6

Postby commodorejohn » Thu May 22, 2014 7:00 pm

The Matrix-6...I don't know that I'd classify it as "classic Obie." It can do big-ish sounds, and it's a pretty fair utility infielder, but sonically really kind of its own thing - almost delicate at times. It definitely does have a DCO sound to it, but it's not flat or lifeless - just stable and a bit less organic than VCO synths. It certainly has a lot to recommend it in the area of versatility - with all the features and the mod matrix, you can come up with some crazy complex patches.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
commodorejohn

Gear: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/DX7-IIFD/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/DSS-1, Hohner String Performer

Postby CfNorENa » Thu May 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Zmeinogorsk wrote:At the end of the day I want a poly that doesn't step on the toes of the other polys I have (Juno/Prophet/Poly Evovler).

Have you considered (in this general price range) a Korg Polysix? Simple architecture and limited synthesis capabilities, but the discrete VCOs through SSM filters sound absolutely gorgeous. It would definitely complement, rather than overlap with, your current polysynths.

If you're set on Oberheim, I suppose you could also sell BOTH Prophet 600s and use the funds towards an OB-8...
CfNorENa

Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Postby Zmeinogorsk » Thu May 22, 2014 8:56 pm

CfNorENa wrote:
Have you considered (in this general price range) a Korg Polysix? Simple architecture and limited synthesis capabilities, but the discrete VCOs through SSM filters sound absolutely gorgeous. It would definitely complement, rather than overlap with, your current polysynths.

If you're set on Oberheim, I suppose you could also sell BOTH Prophet 600s and use the funds towards an OB-8...

Thanks for the responses so far everybody! I sold my Polysix, and I did like it, but in the end it wasn't my cup of tea. I'd love to get a Mono/Poly or OB8, but they might be out of my price range.
Last edited by Zmeinogorsk on Thu May 22, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zmeinogorsk

Postby 8bit9bot » Thu May 22, 2014 9:29 pm

the matrix is a great beginners utility synth... it sounds good for the price for sure... good oberheim filter sound (not the best version of it) - the prophet 600 sounds a LOT better in my opinion... but it's missing a lot of things like noise generator... i think if you sell one p600 and buy a matrix6 you'll be disappointed - you should sell one p600 and start saving towards an ob8 if you really want a high class oberheim

if you already know the sound you want... dont spend your money and time trying other synths... you will probably keep selling things til you buy an ob8 or obxa or whatever it is you're looking for
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Return to Synth Shootouts