Korg Electribe Emx-1 SD or no SD?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg Electribe Emx-1 SD or no SD?

Postby livingnoise » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:55 am

I'm looking to purchase a sequencer in the near future and I've started to narrow it down to the Electribe Emx-1. Would it be worth it to go ahead and invest in an Electribe with an SD reader built in? Can I load new sounds from an SD on to the Electribe? What are the main benefits of the SD?
livingnoise

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Electribe Emx-1 SD or no SD?

Postby zoomtheline » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:33 am

Extra memory for starts. You'll quickly get to the internal memory limit without it. The original has a Smart media slot which is sort of the same thing but older media. Harder to get them now though.
zoomtheline

Postby meatballfulton » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:26 am

If you can find Smart Media cards these days most seller want $50-80 for them, SD cards are cheaper, obviously.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:36 am

there (were) xD to smartmedia adapters available fairly cheap...
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby zoomtheline » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:30 am

I have a few Smart media cards still because I still use my ESmk2 every now and again. I had one of those converters too but it didn't seem to want to work although it worked with an old camera.
zoomtheline

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:15 pm

BTW since the EMX is not a sampler, there's less of a need for memory cards in the first place. Still if price is the same, the EMX1-SD is the one to get.

The xD adapters do work but xD cards are also obsolete. The adapter sticks out from the card slot quite a bit, easy to get broken off :( You cannot use xD cards larger than 128MB (max size for SmartMedia).
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:20 pm

meatballfulton wrote:BTW since the EMX is not a sampler, there's less of a need for memory cards in the first place. Still if price is the same, the EMX1-SD is the one to get.

The xD adapters do work but xD cards are also obsolete. The adapter sticks out from the card slot quite a bit, easy to get broken off :( You cannot use xD cards larger than 128MB (max size for SmartMedia).

In my case, I have XD cards smaller than 128 MB laying around... but i sold my EMX-1.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby meatballfulton » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Ashe37 wrote:In my case, I have XD cards smaller than 128 MB laying around... but i sold my EMX-1.

Me, too. Owned both an Olympus digital camera and a synth that used Smart Media cards so the $10 adapter made sense. Now I own neither the camera or the synth but still have the adapter and xD cards...more useless junk in the march towards endless obsolete technology of the future :oops:
meatballfulton

Return to Buyer's Guide