Favorite sub-$200 Reverb/Delays (Hardware)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Favorite sub-$200 Reverb/Delays (Hardware)

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm

So I've been on a hardware reverb kick lately. Just picked up a Roland DEP-5, and digging it so far. We've always had an SPX-90 at the studio which has always been special. I've got another broken SPX-90 that I should probably fix for at home. Another one I'm looking at is the Lexicon MPX500.

What are some of your favorite 'cheap' reverbs/delays?
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: Favorite sub-$200 Reverb/Delays (Hardware)

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 pm

I had an SPX50 for years, it was sub-$200 then too ;) got it at a Sam Ash blowout for $100. I always thought of Yamaha as #2 just behind Lexicon in verb technology.

Another soft spot for the Alesis Microverb...I had a rack shelf with two of them for 15 years. By today's standards these are pretty funky sounding which should appeal to some folks.

Final shoutout to the early Digitech RDS delays...nothing like LFO and CV control modulating an 8 second delay loop :mrgreen:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby Z » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:22 pm

I still use my Alesis MicroVerb II that one of my buddies bought new back in '88. So easy to use, probably the easiest 'verb to use.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Purveyor » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:38 pm

For the price, I have gotten a lot of mileage from both reverbs and delays on the TC Electronic M300. I would guess really inexpensive used in 2014.
Purveyor

Band: Purveyor

Postby monolith » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Alesis wedge and line 6 M5
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:39 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Final shoutout to the early Digitech RDS delays...nothing like LFO and CV control modulating an 8 second delay loop :mrgreen:

Not sure about the other models, but the early RDS1900 used off-the-shelf CMOS logic and DRAM memory - no CPU, no software, just lots of old-school digital and analogue control. They're 8-bit, max delay just shy of 2 seconds. Lovely units. I have two. Dirt cheap and very much worth picking up. :)

As for reverb, I have an old Korg DRV-1000 - 8 presets types of 'verb, with 8 preset decay times, a hi-cut switch, and mono - but sometimes its dark, gritty sound is exactly what's needed.

Boss FRV-1 for spring reverb emulation in a pedal, and it's a good one too.

I have a Tantek Tanrak digital sampler/delay module - it's completely bonkers, and I haven't been able to tame it yet. Perhaps I shouldn't try. Knobs on the front for start/end points, CV control of pitch, loop/single trig, completely crazy. Wonderful.
Last edited by nathanscribe on Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Nice call on the RDS1900! I forgot about those. Looks like they can be had for $20 or so if you're patient. Definitely going to snag one....
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby c-level » Thu May 01, 2014 1:00 am

caught a roland slash BOSS de200 for ~50 bucks without a power cable few years back and it has continued to impress me. it sounds great, has cool modulation. trig/sync and mod speed as well as some other functions in the back. the other versions accumulate in features and in price...

SP90 and 990 are well worth checking out in that price range.

ill keep my eyes out for the RDS, ive been looking for the IPS 33/B digitech whammy in a rack, but usually cant be found cheap due to their association with 'the edge' of u2

got a cheap lexicon MPX100 which happily utilizes my unused S/PDIF jack but i usually cant be arsed to use it....
c-level

Gear: Juno106, JX8P, JX3P, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, E6400 Ultra Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, M-Audio CX-8 Monitors, Focusrite Pro40
Band: C-Level

Postby Stab Frenzy » Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 am

The Yamaha REV500 is a pretty great and often overlooked unit. Too old to keep any of its value but too new to have any kind of retro cachet, it's probably just about hitting its low point on the second-hand market right now. The Kurzweil Rumour is another great piece out there that squeezes into your budget.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu May 01, 2014 3:29 am

Yeah man, I've always heard good things about the Rumour. I'm tempted to pick up Solderman's in the for sale forum...
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu May 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Just discovered this little beastie....

Watch on youtube.com
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun May 04, 2014 11:34 am

The Roland SRV-330 Space Reverb is surprisingly classy.. don't think I paid very much for that.

For really inexpensive the Alesis Microverb IV is surprisingly good for the money and still a current product.

And dirt cheap... the old ART MultiVerb LTX has one or two surprisingly classy reverbs for such a humble offering.

There is also the Lexicon Alex...

As far as I remember, all of the above have MIDI control too.

On the flip side, the reverb I always disliked was the Alesis QuadraVerb... really nasty ringy/metallic sounding reverbs but maybe made up by some great delays and modulation effects.
H.I.D.E.A.W.A.Y S.T.U.D.I.O
http://www.hideawaystudio.co.uk
The Home of Novachord #346
http://www.novachord.co.uk
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Hideaway Studio

Postby pflosi » Sun May 04, 2014 1:24 pm

I like my Quadraverb. It's a + so maybe that helps... I also enjoy the Midiverb2 I have.

You might be able to snag up a Symetrix 606 for 200.-, it's my all time favorite digital delay.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby mute » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:50 am

tomorrowstops wrote:So I've been on a hardware reverb kick lately. Just picked up a Roland DEP-5, and digging it so far. We've always had an SPX-90 at the studio which has always been special. I've got another broken SPX-90 that I should probably fix for at home. Another one I'm looking at is the Lexicon MPX500.

What are some of your favorite 'cheap' reverbs/delays?

i have a DEP-5.. one of my favorites. that thing is like a secret cheap dream. it has very unique sounds to it and quite a range ..
mute

Postby max badwan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:13 pm

my favourite hardware delay is my Korg SDD 3300, but it might not be in the price range.
The Kawai RV 4 is an interesting unit - worth a look, and I still use an Alesis Quadraverb GT from time to time.
max badwan

Gear: T1, XV 5080, JV 2080, VariOS (VC1), S 760, MKS 7/50/70, EX 8000, Poly 800, K 5000s, K 1000PX, K 1000GX, Mirage
Logic, Cubase, Reason

Next

Return to Sound Production