Oberheim OB12 vs Studiologic Sledge

A forum for comparing two or more synths against each other. Also known as "versus" threads.

Oberheim OB12 vs Studiologic Sledge

Postby corndogssg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:05 pm

i had to come up with a good synth shoot out just to simply cure my bordom.

in the BLUE corner we have the OBERHEIM OB12
a very sexy synth indeed with a super interface, people cry it's not a true oberheim because it was made with another company "viscount" but who the fuck cares, so it's not a OBX,OB8! sometimes i think if this synth was called a VISCOUNT OB12 with an oberheim engine like the sledge more people would of got one.

and in the YELLOW corner we have the STUDIOLOGIC SLEDGE
also a very sexy synth with a super hands on interface, and alike the ob12 it too was "tag teamed" with waldorf who supplied the synth engine. although people say it's not as ballsy as a blofeld

so both these synths are nice looking, "tag teamed" to make, have ton's of hands on tweakability with more nobs and faders you can shake a stick at. i believe they are both have 12 polyphony now too and for both the price is around 1000-1200 bucks.

so what one would win in your opinion and why???
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Advertisement:

Re: Oberheim OB12 vs Studiologic Sledge

Postby Broadwave » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:35 pm

I've had both... Got rid of the OB12 and kept the Sledge.

I found the sound of the OB12 to be quite "static" I just didn't warm to it. No matter how much you tweaked the Osc's it just sounded flat... if you put it into Layer mode it went crazy as one voice would always lag behind the other as the CPU can't cope.

The Sledge is one of the warmest and (dare I say it???) fattest VA's (with a knobby interface) I've owned. Sure there may be better out there (Access/Nord?), but the Sledge has an immediately tweakable panel... no menu diving!

What you see is what you get, and it doesn't rely on a crazy modulation matrix to "force" it to sound great... it just does what it's supposed to do.
Broadwave

Gear: Korg Kronos, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE 18U Modular, BroadWAVE Minimoog Clone, Korg Z1, Roland FA-06, Roland XV88, Studiologic Sledge.

Postby natrixgli » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:45 pm

I just recorded a little demo of some monophonic sledge sounds, 'case you're curious what it can do with one voice. Mostly just tweaking an arp throughout the entire thing, nothing particularly musical. No external FX used.

natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby natrixgli » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Oh and I owned a OB-12 many years ago (somewhere around 2001 when they were cheap!) I paid $550 for it and later noticed it smelled like a cat peed on it. I currently own a Sledge. Had it about 2 weeks, looks a bit like pee but does not smell like it.

Everything on the OB-12 had the zipper effect. The pitch wheel, glide/portamento, sliders, etc. It had a wimpy and lifeless sound. The effects were useless. What I liked about it was the flexibility and the display. But neither of those things can compensate for weak sound and cat pee smell. So I sold it.

But to be fair I'm contemplating swapping my Sledge out for a Nord A1. The Sledge sounds outstanding, but some of the controls are unpredictable. For example the LFO depth seems to do nothing at lower levels. At high levels, if the LFO cycle exceeds the parameter's min or max value, the sound is truncated during that portion of the sweep. Which effectively narrows the range of the LFO quite a bit. You have to be kind of reserved with it. Then of course there's the fact that the LFO's can't sync between voices, which at some settings can produce very undesirable sounds. (But can also be quite cool sometimes!)

But if you can get past some of these oddities (early Nords had LFOs that behaved much the same) you are rewarded with a very instantly gratifying synth capable of some really huge and interesting sounds. You could go for the much more flexible Waldorf Blofeld but personally having owned both I think that not only does the Sledge sound have more power in my opinion, but you're also more likely to go exploring with those big ol' knobs staring you in the face.

So in conclusion between the OB-12 and Sledge:

- Sledge KILLS the OB-12 on sound. Absolutely murders it. And it's much more straight forward save for the few controls that don't exactly do what you'd expect. (LFO Depth and Osc 2>3 sync I'm looking at you!)

- OB-12 has the flexibility and tweakability, but it's let down severely by poor parameter resolution and a weak CPU.

Winner: Sledge by a country mile.
natrixgli

Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Postby Broadwave » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:00 pm

natrixgli wrote:But to be fair I'm contemplating swapping my Sledge out for a Nord A1.

I've been promised by Studiologic that there is an impending update (September). Hopefully it should fix a few bugs, and add some features. It will also include Blofeld's SL License upgrade, so you can download samples into the Sledge... so, maybe hang on a while ;)
Broadwave

Gear: Korg Kronos, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE 18U Modular, BroadWAVE Minimoog Clone, Korg Z1, Roland FA-06, Roland XV88, Studiologic Sledge.

Postby Ashe37 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

Can you upload user wavetables to a sledge?
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Postby Broadwave » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Ashe37 wrote:Can you upload user wavetables to a sledge?

Not sure yet how compatible the update is to the Blofeld SL (which allows for user Wavetables)... Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Broadwave

Postby Ashe37 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:49 am

Kronik wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:Can you upload user wavetables to a sledge?

Not sure yet how compatible the update is to the Blofeld SL (which allows for user Wavetables)... Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No, license SL is not needed on a Blofeld for user wavetables. It is needed for *samples*, but not wavetables.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, Bass Station II
Band: Eridani V

Return to Synth Shootouts