Korg MS-20mini or Arturia Minibrute? Help chosing

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Korg MS-20mini or Arturia Minibrute? Help chosing

Postby synthmaniak » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:30 pm

its time for a new synth. And ive narrowed down to these 2. I know there is a price difference, put that aside what is the best one to go with?.

Not really looking for analog bass/trance/techno electro sounds. looking for cool leads, kind of like kitaro/ new age sounds and the ability to create trippy effects. I seen Brian Utley reviewing the Arturia mini brute and liked what i heard, but maybe some ms-20 mini users on here can help.
Reason 7, Elektronika EM 25, Korg EX-800, Arturia V-Collection, Komplete 9, G Force String Machine,
synthmaniak

Advertisement:

Re: Korg MS-20mini or Arturia Minibrute? Help chosing

Postby sam » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 pm

I have both synths and they are both wonderful .....I think the ms with effects would be the best option.

I have 3 original ms20s and the new version nails it...good job korg. :D
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.CS30.Roland SH-5..Vp330 mk1.system 101.SH101.Jupiter 8.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Jupiter 4 .Andromeda. OBX.OB-1.
Prophet vs. Pro-one. Wasp.EMS VCS3
sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby ejlif » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:32 am

I don't have the Mini Brute I was thinking about it but I got the MS 20 instead. It is probably my favorite synth at this point. The bass that comes out of this thing is amazing. It is so inspiring to use I just love it. It doesn't do that much but what it does it does well.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Postby ranzee » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:15 am

They both have very unique tones. The MS-20 will probably more "familiar", as it was used in many songs for decades. I don't own an MS-20 - but that doesn't mean I don't like it - I love it! I want one too, but just can't justify the $'s on one just now - as I already have 6 mono analog synths (technically the volca keys is poly/para - so lets say 5 then).

They both have CV ability - but the MS-20 is like a CV-freak's dream. I think the MS-20 is a great entry into the world of routing and control voltages.

Technical spec-wise: the MS-20 probably offers the edge with the 2nd Oscillator. Many will say that the Minibrute has that "Brute Factor" knob - which gives it a unique sound. Essentially it is only an audio feedback loop - and the MS-20 has the ability to do this too.

However, as I said at the start: they both have completely different tones. So it will come down to the tone you love the most. In the end the Minibrute won me over with the original tone - just not the same as any other synth - not trying to be like another synth either - just original. So good in fact that I also got the Microbrute.

Oh, and if you're thinking of getting the Minibrute SE edition (looks aside) because it has the sequencer, you can always get the Minibrute (standard edition) and buy the Beatstep (which has CV). The Minibrute features as the lead this track I did (the sequenced part is the Microbrute):

I wish you luck in your choice - as it is a very hard decision to make - they're both brilliant beasties!
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby synthmaniak » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:55 pm

ranzee wrote:They both have very unique tones. The MS-20 will probably more "familiar", as it was used in many songs for decades. I don't own an MS-20 - but that doesn't mean I don't like it - I love it! I want one too, but just can't justify the $'s on one just now - as I already have 6 mono analog synths (technically the volca keys is poly/para - so lets say 5 then).

They both have CV ability - but the MS-20 is like a CV-freak's dream. I think the MS-20 is a great entry into the world of routing and control voltages.

Technical spec-wise: the MS-20 probably offers the edge with the 2nd Oscillator. Many will say that the Minibrute has that "Brute Factor" knob - which gives it a unique sound. Essentially it is only an audio feedback loop - and the MS-20 has the ability to do this too.

However, as I said at the start: they both have completely different tones. So it will come down to the tone you love the most. In the end the Minibrute won me over with the original tone - just not the same as any other synth - not trying to be like another synth either - just original. So good in fact that I also got the Microbrute.

Oh, and if you're thinking of getting the Minibrute SE edition (looks aside) because it has the sequencer, you can always get the Minibrute (standard edition) and buy the Beatstep (which has CV). The Minibrute features as the lead this track I did (the sequenced part is the Microbrute):

I wish you luck in your choice - as it is a very hard decision to make - they're both brilliant beasties!

Thanks for the feedback!. you are right, it does come down to the tone.From what ive seen, im gonna lean towards the minibrute. it seems more versatile with sound capabilities. Leads, Trippy FX etc. and the. ideo of adrien utley from portishead really sold me. the sounds he was creating are right up my alley.
Reason 7, Elektronika EM 25, Korg EX-800, Arturia V-Collection, Komplete 9, G Force String Machine,
synthmaniak

Postby ranzee » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:31 pm

Yeah that vid by Adrien is pretty rad.

Good luck with your purchase!
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Return to Buyer's Guide