Ensoniq TS-10 / TS-12 WTF?!?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Ensoniq TS-10 / TS-12 WTF?!?

Postby corndogssg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 am

recently i saw a TS-12 go for just under 500 and the same day a TS-10 go for just under 1500, literally triple the cost!

why? is it the poly after touch on the ts10 that makes it worth 3 times it's bigger brother???

and what is poly after touch? i know what after touch is, and my ultra nova has after touch and it works just fine. and i can hold down and push harder on a cord and they all "after touch"

i am confused on this. any one out there in the synth land that could clear up my confusion would be appreciated
corndogssg

Gear: v synth,little phatty2,jx10,kiwi106 jx305, jv2080x's8,k2600,ion,microQ,blofeld,evolver,tetra,x station,ultra nova,bass station2, jd990,minibrute
Band: sesame street gangsters

Advertisement:

Re: Ensoniq TS-10 / TS-12 WTF?!?

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:37 am

corndogssg wrote:[...] and what is poly after touch? i know what after touch is, and my ultra nova has after touch and it works just fine. and i can hold down and push harder on a cord and they all "after touch" [...]

Poly aftertouch is not just pressure articulation of a chord, you can articulate single notes within that chord and make them louder, brighter, whatever.

I´ve had the TS-10 on my list for a while but, frankly, I can´t see any point in spending that much money on a synthesiser that is rather bread-and-butter.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby MOS-FET » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 pm

I have been wondering about the TS-10/TS-12 price difference myself. This is what I have come up with from my analisys. I assume you are referring to the pricing trends found on the worlds most frequented internet auction site. Most of the TS-10's that I have seen sell for over the $1000 price tag have the rare SCSI interface option. Most of the TS-12's that I have seen sell didn't have that option. Now I have seen some TS-10's sell for a pretty penny that didn't have a SCSI interface and the only thing I can come up with is that some bidders don't understand that that there is a difference between a machine with a SCSI and one without. They just instictively beleive that a TS-10 with SCSI has the same value of one without. I understand the rarity of a TS with SCSI because I have one without SCSI and have been looking for an Ensoniq SP-4 SCSI interface for a while, and they are very rare. Now there may be other reasons for the price difference (such as some people probably don't like the weighted keyboard of the TS-12). Or maybe there is something else going on there. This is just my analisys, because I was wondering the same thing. But in the end. A synth is only worth what a person is willing to pay, which varys from person to person, and day to day.
MOS-FET

Gear: RD-600. QS 7, M1, CS-6X, Juno-60, JX-8P, MKS-70, R3, FZ-1, TR-707, DX7II, JP-8000, Poly 61, EPS 16+, JD-990, Fantom XA.

Postby Bitexion » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:51 pm

I assume it's the poly AT that does it. It's quite rare, no manufacturers make those keyboards anymore because they're overly expensive to do.

Poly AT means you have a separate sensor under each key, so you can accent single notes in a chord by pushing a bit harder. Normal, or Channel AT, does all notes even you just press one key harder. It's really hard to implement into any playstyle other than mimicking Vangelis blade runner sounds, so I don't really see the point. I have it on my SQ-80 but hardly ever used the feature.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Honestly, unless you're seriously skilled at playing, Mono Aftertouch is completely fine. I never liked the PolyAT on the Sq80.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Dx7|ProOne|MEK|9700s|Ms20m|700s|
|P61|An1x|Dx21|Emax2|Ds8
Band: Variar, Model Human

Postby rhino » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:26 pm

Two thoughts:
1) many synth players do not like the full weighted hammer action on the TS-12. It is quite firm.
2) speaking of weight, the lead weights in the TS-12 add a ton to the beast..it's just south of 90 pounds with no case!

still one of my favorite boards for all-around use.
"A thing may seem impossible...until it's done."
--Nelson Mandela
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Postby tim gueguen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Bitexion wrote:Poly AT means you have a separate sensor under each key, so you can accent single notes in a chord by pushing a bit harder. Normal, or Channel AT, does all notes even you just press one key harder. It's really hard to implement into any playstyle other than mimicking Vangelis blade runner sounds, so I don't really see the point.

People associate the CS80 with Vangelis now, but when it was actually in production I suspect Eddie Jobson might have been better known for using it. Unfortunately for Yamaha the price and size of it meant his usage probably didn't help sales much.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound
tim gueguen

Postby Bitexion » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:48 am

Sure others played it too, Stevie Wonder was (oddly) one of the most famous users. Of course he was a brilliant keyboardist, just strange that a blind man could operate such a large synth. I guess you can learn anything if you try long enough.

Apparently he wore out the pitch ribbon strip quite often and had to have it replaced. He also had a few extras for parts for the working ones.

And Stevie is more of a funk/piano type player, not slow pads like Vangelis.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby moremagic » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:00 pm

Bitexion wrote:Sure others played it too, Stevie Wonder was (oddly) one of the most famous users. Of course he was a brilliant keyboardist, just strange that a blind man could operate such a large synth. I guess you can learn anything if you try
i suppose if you can afford the crew to move a cs80, you can afford somebody to tell you what each knob, slider, and lever is labeled until you got it down pat
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby knolan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:45 pm

tim gueguen wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Poly AT means you have a separate sensor under each key, so you can accent single notes in a chord by pushing a bit harder. Normal, or Channel AT, does all notes even you just press one key harder. It's really hard to implement into any playstyle other than mimicking Vangelis blade runner sounds, so I don't really see the point.

People associate the CS80 with Vangelis now, but when it was actually in production I suspect Eddie Jobson might have been better known for using it. Unfortunately for Yamaha the price and size of it meant his usage probably didn't help sales much.

Yamaha released 1000 CS80s. Subsequent to the release of China by Vangelis, such was the demand for CS80s that Yamaha doubled that to 2000 units.
knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:44 am

knolan wrote: [...] Yamaha released 1000 CS80s. Subsequent to the release of China by Vangelis, such was the demand for CS80s that Yamaha doubled that to 2000 units.

I am sure Kent Spong would beg to differ.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Return to General Synthesizers