Yamaha CS70M?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Yamaha CS70M?

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 pm

I have always been interested in this synth but you don't see it come up very often for sale or mentioned much for that matter. Maybe it's always in the shadow of the 60 and 80.
I think I'm interested in getting one, I love the sound of my sk50d and feel that while it's nowhere near as deep as the cs70, I think it gives a glimpse of the tone and yamaha sound.
I have no idea what they are worth or what they go for. I'm in the UK so if anyone here can give any ideas or if they have one they might be interested in selling or trading?
Poly's I could trade in some way or another are jupiter 4, crumar stratus and the sk50d. All these have small or a few issues but can be sorted or swapped as is if the person can do it themselves.
Let's see what comes of this ha.
zoomtheline

Advertisement:

Re: Yamaha CS70M?

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:54 pm

If you don´t expect it to sound exactly like a CS80/60/50, I think it´s an okay-ish polysynth. Quite unlike the rest of the bunch -- which may be one of its biggest assets now. Not sure it´s worth the asking price, though, but, of course, it´s "vintage", "like CS80", "rare" etc. which goes to justify almost anything these days, I reckon.

Bear in mind it might be a tad difficult to fix if something goes wrong.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby zoomtheline » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Yeah I know it's not going to sound like the 60, 80 etc. that's not the sound I'm after, and to be honest they are way out of my reach price wise if I did take a fancy to them. The 70m sounds dark and solemn, almost morbid compared, and I like that.
zoomtheline

Postby Algorithm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:02 am

last 1 that I saw sell sold for right around $1650.00. It was broken. Probably an easy repair though.
Ive seen a few this year.
Is it trash or treasure?
Algorithm

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

Algorithm wrote: [...] Probably an easy repair though. [...]

Not so sure about this... lots of custom ICs inside, and -- even though it´s been simplified and nowhere near as complex as a CS80 inside -- full of inherent problems due to complexity.

I think I´d only buy a broken one to gut it for spare parts.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

This does not hold hope for a longterm workhorse ha.
zoomtheline

Postby synthparts » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:15 pm

Working 70Ms in good shape have been in the $3500-4000 range from what I've seen. I have one along with a 50 and 60 and I like the 70M a lot better.

The big deal with it is it has the dual-voice/patch-layering setup like the CS80 although 12 voices instead of 16. It even has some advantages over the 80 like auto-tune, unison mode, all patch memories user storable, split mode allowing 4 patches to be played at once, improved triple-BBD chrorus, and all voice cards plug in with connectors and can be removed for much easier tuning/servicing. It also seems much more reliable and stays in tune a lot better than my 50 or 60...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby zoomtheline » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm

That gives me a little bit of an idea. Cheers man.
Just need to finally get around to sorting my JP4 out and weigh up which one I prefer.

Any other input absolutely welcome, especially from UK and if you have one to sell?
zoomtheline

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:08 pm

synthparts wrote: [...] The big deal with it is it has the dual-voice/patch-layering setup like the CS80 although 12 voices instead of 16. [...]

Just to be precise, the 70 is six-voice polyphonic and the 80 is eight-voice polyphonic. They both have twice the amount of voiceboards for layering patches (or "Channels", as they call it).

3,500 to 4,000 US$ seems to be the average going rate. Not sure whether this is an adequate price though.

Stephen
ppg_wavecomputer

Postby Algorithm » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:13 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:Not so sure about this... lots of custom ICs inside, and -- even though it´s been simplified and nowhere near as complex as a CS80 inside -- full of inherent problems due to complexity.

I think I´d only buy a broken one to gut it for spare parts.

Stephen

You could be right... Hard to say without seeing it! (laughs)
It is a gamble though.
My experience with cs-yamahas though?
I imagine it would not have been too bad..
Of course, might have been a different story in person.

I know of a problem that effects yamahas of the cs series.
I was pretty sure that is what was wrong with the 1 mentioned broken.
If it was, it would have been too easy.
Makes me wish I had more money. (((:
Is it trash or treasure?
Algorithm

Return to Buyer's Guide