what's up with my moog slim phatty being out of tune?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

what's up with my moog slim phatty being out of tune?

Postby ejlif » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:57 am

I was playing a layered part and noticed something was wrong. I turned the tuning knob on the slim phatty from the normal 12 o'clock position to almost 1 o'clock and everything was as normal. After a while I had to take it back to 12 to get it sounding right again.

This might be dumb and redundant question but I'm no analog synth expert and I'm guessing this is what guys are talking about when they mention analog synths going out of tune.

If this is the way it is I'll still take it. I have found so much joy in the sound of the Korg Ms 20 and Moog Slim Phatty that even if it fades out of tune it's worth the hassle.
ejlif

Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Advertisement:

Re: what's up with my moog slim phatty being out of tune?

Postby megamanx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:24 am

The little phatty, has an "auto-tune" function in the little phatty, so I am guessing it should be in the slim phatty.
megamanx

Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, leipzig, analog4, t.oberheim sem, Chroma polaris,
Band: Thieves & Co.

Postby mute » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:18 am

Yeah, i thought they had autotune. Even then probably still requires warm up? MS-20 mini's autotuning doesn't..it's pretty much always in tune, but then again.. it's also the reason they used Hz/V back in the day, right..? On a related note, the minibrute def. has to warm up before use.
mute

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:38 am

MS20 has no auto tuning ;) It's just very stable.

Moog's manual suggests something like 30 minutes :shock: before tuning is stable.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Motif XF6, Evolver, Live 9

Postby moremagic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:00 pm

the ms-20s linear oscillators warm up real fast and drift way less than exponential oscillators, which is the primary benefit of linear voltage scaling, and i think the mini has digital thermostats or tempcos or something to keep them even more stable
the exponential converter is the most temperature sensitive part of most exponential vcsos as i understand it, and they take a while to warm up. i think modern moog synths have digital tempcos like the ms-20mini, but exponential (v/octave) oscillators will always have a little more drift than linear ones
and half an hout to warm up seems pretty normal if you just moved the synth or something, but i find it takes a lot less time if its kept in a good spot with a steady temp
moremagic

Gear: small stone,nuo2,dd-6,ps-6,mf-102,mf-101,er-1,ps-5,mf-104z,pds-20/20,hd-1000,ep-501,mf-107,cp-251,mp-4,ad-9,pme-40x,s-10,sp-404sx,mpc2000xl,pds-1002

Postby redchapterjubilee » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:13 pm

I had a Little Phatty with a bad 2nd VCO. It would never 100% track accurately. Not even a full octave. It was painful to have the oscillators tuned just right at middle C for a little bit of movement between the two then have it go sharp with every half-step beyond that. Moog eventually had to replace that oscillator.
http://www.soundcloud.com/kellyminnis
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS
redchapterjubilee

Return to General Synthesizers