Minimal wave tips??? Ensoniq, Moog, E-mu

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Minimal wave tips??? Ensoniq, Moog, E-mu

Postby bassplayer1980 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:05 am

Hi, I'm new atthis synth forum. My name is Paul. I have 3 synths, Ensoniq ESQ-1 , Moog little phatty, E-mu Command station. and I plan to play minimal wave synth and I want some tips from the forum. the esq and the e-mu can make sequences and the moog little phatty has a good monophonic arpegiattor for bass. Any help is gladly appreciated.
bassplayer1980

Gear: Moog lp, Ensoniq ESQ-1, E-mu command station, Mackie mixer 402 vlz3.

Advertisement:

Re: Minimal wave tips??? Ensoniq, Moog, E-mu

Postby Rick N Boogie » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 am

Maybe I'm just unaware, but what is "minimal wave synth"?
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Postby bassplayer1980 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 am

this is an exampleof whatI'm looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmWo9c8ER4U
bassplayer1980

Postby bassplayer1980 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:15 am

Rick N Boogie wrote:Maybe I'm just unaware, but what is "minimal wave synth"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmWo9c8ER4U
bassplayer1980

Postby Aaron2 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:47 am

bassplayer1980 wrote:Hi, I'm new atthis synth forum. My name is Paul. I have 3 synths, Ensoniq ESQ-1 , Moog little phatty, E-mu Command station. and I plan to play minimal wave synth and I want some tips from the forum. the esq and the e-mu can make sequences and the moog little phatty has a good monophonic arpegiattor for bass. Any help is gladly appreciated.

First off, welcome to the forum.

You probably have all the gear you need right now to play anything you want. Just start making the sounds you want to make. I don't think there's a ready-made, minimal-wave-in-a-box synth that will fulfill your every wish.

To me, a synth is like a hammer. It's just a tool. With a hammer, you can build a house with it, or a fence, or a dining-room table. Or you can squash a bug with it. It has many uses. It's up to you to decide what you want to make it do.
Aaron2

Gear: Roland: Juno-106/S; JX-10; JX-8P; JX-3P; Juno-2
Elektron: MD, OT, A4, AK, AR
DSI: Tempest, MEK, P08M
Moog: Minitaur

Postby bassplayer1980 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 am

thanks, :) but i was searching for some tips, like how to use all these synths at the same time. I was thinkin on use the e-mu to make drum patters in 1/4 and then play the moog for basslines because itscool arpeggiator and use the ensoniq to make synth sequences to cover the songs. i wish to hearmore for you. :) thanks
bassplayer1980

Postby balma » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 pm

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies you won´t find another"
Carl Sagan

https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby alfadawg01 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:20 pm

This isn't meant to sound arrogant, but you should read each instrument's manual to learn how they do what they do. If you don't have them, search on line. Then, you might try to recreate a song you like so you can figure out how it was done. Beyond that, just sit down and play!
alfadawg01

Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, E-mu Vintage Keys
Band: GTCC Worship Band

Postby micahjonhughes » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 pm

I know nothing about the genre, except what I learned by clicking on the link, but is seems that a general setup will work for minimal wave. The gear that you have should be more than adequate to write some songs if you combine it with a mixer, monitors and appropriate cables.

I'm unsure whether you are asking how to connect up the gear you have into a midi synth studio or if you are asking for some tips on composing. If you can clarify, I'll try and be more helpful.

Very generally, you could probably get by with the Command Station alone. It is a drum machine, sequencer and rompler. As it is likely to be the backbone of your rig, you should read the link provided and get to know what you can do with it. The Moog will provide good basses as well as leads and synth effects. The ESQ is fairly flexible, but my guess is that you will find yourself mostly using it for pads and then leads and basses.

As mentioned above, you will need a mixer, monitors (speakers) and lots of 1/4 inch and midi cables.

If you narrow your question down, I'll try to be more helpful.
micahjonhughes

Postby Bitexion » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:44 pm

What you are asking is like buying a bunch of guitars and a drumset and ask how to make heavy metal music with this gear..
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Yamaha Motif XF6
Roland Gaia
Alesis Ion
Analogue Systems modular
+various assorted bits&bobs

Postby calyx93 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Honestly, just start off with the mastering the ESQ-1 - it's very easy to understand, the sequencer is easy to use and will give you the basic knowledge behind sequencing, the synthesis is straightforward too and will give you a solid knowledge of subtractive synthesis - plus it has drum sounds, so you can make complete 8 track songs with it. Check out the manual, and learn that synth inside and out FIRST.

Then you should move onto the Phatty - if you've got the skills down on the ESQ, then creating sounds on the Moog will be a cinch and you then understand the difference between what a digital/analog hybrid and a pure analog sounds like. Then try maybe using it for a bass track via MIDI in an ESQ sequence.

Now that you've got that down, the most complex item is the E-mu, but by this point, you should feel comfortable enough to delve into that. If you've not been "bitten by the bug" at this point, you'll know it and will either dive head-first with exuberance or drop the stuff altogether.

As for HOW to compose or write minimal wave, I've no idea. Just try copying some songs or riffs you've heard - just synthesize and sequence them yourself as best you can and try improving them. There are no classes on this sort of thing - everyone learns by doing and mimicking their favorite artists.

Good luck and hope you catch on quick - have fun too.
“I have stretched ropes from steeple to steeple; garlands from window to window; golden chains from star to star, and I dance.” - Rimbaud
calyx93

Gear: PPG Wave 2.2, Waldorf μWave, Roland JP6+V-Synth, SCI P5+600, Moog LP-TE, E-mu EII, Emax 1+2, Kawai SX-240+K-3, Korg DW8000, Ensoniq Mirage +more

Postby JayEm » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 pm

according to wikipedia, your gear is wrong for minimal wave because they include midi.
best just to give up entirely.
w00t
JayEm

Gear: Korg Poly 800 Monotron MFB 522 Tapco Mix 100 Novation Nio 24 Remote 25SL FLStudio Behringer FEX800 Yamaha CS-15D
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Postby matia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:33 am

i would say the ESQ 1 is cool for more mid to late 80's kinds of sounds ... think Martin Dupont circa He Saw the Light ...

Out of the modern stuff I would say the MS20 mini is your ticket and the Bass Station 2. Drum machine wise ... I mean the obvious is to bag a Boss DR55 like everyone else ;-) There's the TR 8 as well. It does a fairly convincing 808. The kick and the hats on the Volca Beats are also fantastic.
matia

Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Postby joeboy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:38 am

I'll second the DR55. And a Casio VL-Tone VL-1 too!

But idunno. Just use the gear you have first.
joeboy

Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, dr-110, sr-16, qy-300

Postby alfadawg01 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:27 pm

Hmmm....the OP vanished on us. That's what happens when someone comes expecting us to do his homework for him.
alfadawg01

Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, E-mu Vintage Keys
Band: GTCC Worship Band

Next

Return to General Synthesizers