Waldorf Microwave XT/ General Synth Setup Questions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Waldorf Microwave XT/ General Synth Setup Questions

Postby sarinasingh » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:32 pm

Hello! I am buying my first synth and I have decided on a Waldorf Microwave XT. However before I purchased one I just want to make sure that I understand how to set it up for playing and recording. Since it is a rackmount, what kind of cable do I need to connect it to a keyboard controller? Should something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMX610 (Behringer UMX610) should work since it has a midi out port?
Also, what kind of cable do you need to connect the synth to the computer? Would it be some kind of USB/MIDI out link? And do you need an interface between the two, like for recording with a mic?

Thanks so much!
sarinasingh

Advertisement:

Re: Waldorf Microwave XT/ General Synth Setup Questions

Postby zoomtheline » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:27 pm

The microwave xt is an amazing synth however it is a wavetable synth not your typical subtractive synth. If you are new to synthesis full stop then i don't suppose it matters. It will be a little more complicated though.
As for connection, just a standard midi cable connected to the xt midi in and the controller midi out.
Recording the synth you will need an interface. There are tons to choose from. USB, FireWire or thunderbolt connection between the computer and interface and stereo audio jacks from the synth into the interface.
zoomtheline

Return to General Synthesizers