Roland Juno 60: Replacing rubber dome contact for switches?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland Juno 60: Replacing rubber dome contact for switches?

Postby mmauve » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:27 am

Hey everyone,

Recently I acquired a Juno 60 which has issues with the buttons located on the memory control panel (they weren't depressing properly, if at all). Upon removing the board and opening the switches, I noticed that the rubber dome (with the contact pad) has been torn on some of them. Picture below to give a visual as to which part Im talking about.

Does anyone have any insight as to if its possible to repair or specifically replace these rubber domes? or do I need to acquire new switches entirely?. Thanks :)
Last edited by mmauve on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmauve

Advertisement:

Re: Roland Juno 60: Replacing rubber dome contact for switch

Postby vcs3 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:11 pm

clean the inside rubber with alcohol and it should solve the problem, don't forget to clean the contact
in the pcb board.
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby mmauve » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:52 pm

As I mentioned in my original post - the issue is that the rubber is physically torn, the switch isn't depressing properly because the rubber is ripped and the graphite isn't making actual contact at all. Thank you for the suggestion though :)
mmauve

Postby mmauve » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:18 am

So just a heads up for other Juno 60 owners: I figured out a way to replace and actually improve the tactile response of the momentary contact switches (used in the DCO, Chorus, and Memory sections).

I took an HP laptop (model: Compaq nx6110 ) and removed the rubber domes on the smaller keys (the F-keys, arrow keys, and Page Up/Down keys). All I did after that was flip the rubber domes inside out, cut the carbon contacts off the old domes with a razor blade, and affix them with adhesive. Not only did they fit perfectly, but the rubber domes provide better resistance than the older ones, which result in a smooth "click" when pushed. A continuity test on the pins prior to soldering confirmed they were properly making contact when pushed down.

Hopefully this saves someone the headache of having to track down replacement switches for something rather small. If anyone has suggestions on good adhesives to use for joining the carbon contact to rubber let me know, epoxy unfortunately didn't do much.
mmauve

Return to HELP!