Korg Gadget -- toy or capable of more?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.

Korg Gadget -- toy or capable of more?

Postby 808KickDrum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 pm

I'm considering getting Korg Gadget for my iPad, but the price seems steep for an app (even one apparently so capable).
My main concern is with parameter automation; in the tutorials I've seen, it looks like the automation needs to be the same length as the part it modifies. So, for example, if you have a 4-bar beat, you can do a nice 4-bar filter sweep, but not a 16-bar. Is this right?

Also, any general comments as to the sound?

What about integrating it into my Ableton workflow?

Thanks a lot for any and all feedback.
808KickDrum

Advertisement:

Re: Korg Gadget -- toy or capable of more?

Postby Jaytee » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:19 am

It's both.

Are there more "serious", feature-filled DAWs out there? Yeah, definitely. Are there any with the simplicity, portability and immediacy of Korg's Gadget? Not really.

It's the limitations here that make it what it is. A dozen or so instruments, a simple interface, that's all you get. Make some music. I think trying to integrate it into Ableton kind of misses the point.

It's a lot like the Monotribe, actually. Too amazing and powerful to be a mere toy, far more limited than most commercial products, but just plain super fun no matter what.
Jaytee

Postby Cybercardinal » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 am

If you already got an iPad, it's quite cheap actually for what you get.
And Korg seem keen to develop it further, an update is on the way. Hope they drop in a sampler or something.
It sounds good. Could be all you ever had on your iPad..
Mobility is the keyword here, you can make music anywhere. On your couch, in your bed, when you take a dump rest etc.
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:08 am

It's actually very capable and amazing, I'm looking forward to them adding CC support though. As it is it's very capable.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Octatrack, Analog Four, Eurorack, Minibrute, Ultranova, many FX

Return to Software Synthesizers