ARP Solus

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

ARP Solus

Postby tomorrowstops » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:27 pm

Just discovered this board. Are they around? Anybody on here rockin' one now? I'd love to get my hands on one!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Advertisement:

Re: ARP Solus

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 pm

It´s a nice little synth, a bit like a boilt-down Odyssey but not quite there.

Twenty years ago, I was desparate to find one because I couldn´t afford an Odyssey. Got an Odyssey by chance instead.

Bearing in mind what these things can fetch (and their relative rarity as the main selling asset), you might settle for an Odyssey instead.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Cotillion » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:08 pm

I've got one. I got it for $400 for last year with minimal issues. It's basically the only real "deal" I've gotten. Although the range is limited on the envelope, it's incredibly expressive when modulating the filter, which sounds very sweet. In fact, the range of most parameters is somewhat limited like a Juno might be, but that also means it sounds great all the time. It's also incredibly light - I'll probably never let this one go.
Cotillion

Postby shaft9000 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47 am

it's a bitchin', kickass lil' lead/bass munstah. i love mine.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby tomorrowstops » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Cool, I was wondering if you still had yours, shaft (I watched the video).

What is the price point of this board these days? If the one on ebay right now is any indication, forget it - I'll just buy an Odyssey!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby shaft9000 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:41 pm

you mean this one? :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-SOLUS-Monophonic-2-VCO-Analog-Synth-c-1981-like-Odyssey-/221358048798?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Synthesisers_CV&hash=item3389f7c61e

dude's gotta be on krokodil. :shocked:
maybe in 2030 they'll fetch that much. they're kind of rare, but sheesh. get an Oddy or a cwejman S1 for that kind of bread.

yeah i still have mine and use it quite a bit. it will be one of the last ever to go, i feel.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: ZF synchromesh 6-speed manual transmission

Postby maindeglorie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 pm

I have a Solus and a white face Oddy - the Solus is on everyday. It's a monster of a synth. Way more playable than the Odyssey in my opinion due to octave switching and the wave and mix sliders. While it doesn't have S/H and only one EG, it's sound is exact to the Oddy, and in the aggressive area - the Solus kills the Oddy. It's one of the most aggressive monos ever and one of my favorite synths of all time.
maindeglorie

Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:24 am

You beat me to it.

"Has been used by Tangerine Dream" is always a good selling point. Any evidence for this?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: brain
Band: ['ramp]

Postby tomorrowstops » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:59 pm

face

palm
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:20 pm

Alright, I finally picked up a Solus!

Its definitely as cool as I thought. Glad I didn't cave and go for an Axxe! Tons of subtle timbral options, a surprising amount of modulation fun, filter FM AND ring mod??? This thing rules!

I recorded a bunch of it yesterday, as soon as I turned it on. However, after a couple of hours, tuning stability went straight out the window. I'm talking a couple half steps out! VCO 2 right out of the gate was touchy, and from what my tech told me, was notorious. But VCO 1 is now way out as well. I have a feeling its temperature related. We'll see what happens when I turn her on today....
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby KevBKeys » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Congrats on the ARP Solus. I've owned mine 10 years now and I still absolutely love it.

I had mine serviced when I bought it, but it went out of tune on the long journey home from the service shop. Thankfully, it can be tuned quite easily using a small screwdriver through holes in the front panel. The trim pots are quite sensitive though. Amazingly, after 10 years, it still plays pretty much in tune but would probably benefit from another tune now. I haven't experienced any issues with oscillator drift. The oscillators are stable on mine.

The Solus has aggressive leads and big bass and i love experimenting with the FM and Ring Mod. The variable waveforms are nice and the switchable single/multi/auto triggering is a nice feature that the Odyssey doesn't have.

I also love the fact it comes built into a case but doesn't seem to weigh that much. The Solus was half the price of an Odyssey when I bought it. Still seems like a bargain. :D
Last edited by KevBKeys on Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevBKeys

Postby tomorrowstops » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Just messed with it a bit, both oscillators drifting from the moment it was turned on. So its not temperature related. If I can find a small screw driver around here, I'll mess with those trimpots, but I'm thinking the problem is beyond that.

This much fun for less than half the price of an Odyssey? Hell yeah!
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to Buyer's Guide