eBay advice - Have a look here

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Postby DX » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:51 pm

Ok folks, I was sure those items would not be a good deal :-)
Here an example:
(edit: better in english):
http://cgi.ebay.com/KORG-Mono-Poly-Rare ... dZViewItem
:D
E-mu EMAX. Yamaha DX7, DX7 II FD, DX27S, Roland JP8000, D10, JX-8P. Korg POLY800. Casio CZ1000, Casiotone MT-70, SK1 (lost in my house), Commodore C64 w/ prophet64. Akai S3000 XL HD. KURZWEIL PC1x
DX

Advertisement:

Postby Sorcerio » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:36 am

yeah. that sure looks like a nicely done ad for someone's very first e-bay transaction.
Sorcerio

Postby crow » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:03 pm

There are a plague of Chinese adverts all over Ebay just now all complete shite. I dont think anyone will be silly enough to fall for them but you never know.

Is this how they plan to bring Capitalism to its knees??
crow

Postby Wiglaf » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:04 pm

No, this is China embracing it. It's beautiful, really.
"I thought all you did was push a button and sounds came out!" - Mom on synths
"Not quite, Mom." - Me on synths
Wiglaf

Gear: I don't even remember half of it
Band: width full

Postby DX » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:01 pm

An example of strange deals..
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... id=enajdhh

Check the items, locations and the prices !
E-mu EMAX. Yamaha DX7, DX7 II FD, DX27S, Roland JP8000, D10, JX-8P. Korg POLY800. Casio CZ1000, Casiotone MT-70, SK1 (lost in my house), Commodore C64 w/ prophet64. Akai S3000 XL HD. KURZWEIL PC1x
DX

Postby jim777 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Is there a "Here's a great deal for someone!" thread somewhere? I know of a few other forums where there's a sticked thread that people post great buys to if they stumble across them, expecially ones with low BIN prices. Sort of just keeping an eye out for one another. Most of the guys and gals here seem to know what each other would really like to acquire, it might be a good idea.

jim
even Siberia goes through the motions....
jim777

Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Postby lich » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:22 pm

make one?
lich

Postby GeneralBigbag » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:25 pm

I can't believe people see those chinese auctions and bid on them. Now I can believe that the Nigerian Princess scam actually worked.
GeneralBigbag

Postby supermel74 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Also, beware of anyone who says that they're selling this for a friend and don't know much about it. To me that is code speak for somethings definately wrong with this but I'm going to play dumb and stick you with it.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby zanesizer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:13 am

I'm going back and forth with a guy in Estonia right now who, after i did a little research and found out that estonia is a hotbed for scams, claims that I can send him half payment and he'll ship the synth and thenI pay him the rest! Sounds a little fishy to me. He has posted pictures and even gave me all of his contact information and got really offended by me accusing him of scamming him. Says he heard about some guys getting arrested in the last couple of weeks for fraud. i don't know what to do.
zanesizer

Postby stix » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 pm

Well if you haven't made the finnal deal with him than you fine, but if i was you i would go look up what eBay has to say about fraud and what actions you can take. I've had to almost report a few people but the product usually shows up a week late. Living in the US i probably would never buy out side of this country.

Anyone have any bad problems with Canada? The only things I've bought from there was movies and cloths. . . I'm considering buying a Waldorf xt and a few people have them in Canada. My major concern is customs and the product passing over the border.
stix

Postby supermel74 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Another thing about ebay that pisses me off is sellers that add non-factual descriptions into their title to get more looks/bids. For example, someone selling an mc 303 having something like this for a title."Roland MC 303 Groovebox, Sampler, Synth, Drum Machine". It's not a sampler and it's not a synth. Someone not familiar with the product could bid thinking otherwise. Sellers like this need to get the living shit kicked out of them, seriuosly. I know it's also the buyers responsibility to know what they're bidding on, but I have no tolerance for deceptive sales practices. None.
supermel74

Gear: Korg ESX, iPad

Postby tblack » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:38 am

lich wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7407962818

look at the shipping price... $40! for a stompbox! i asked him a question and he lowered it to $20, which is still really high. i shipped an MG-1 halfway across the country via UPS for less than that.

This is a relatively new technique I've noticed on ebay. What the seller is trying to do is avoid paying ebay's fees. I have no idea what this pedal is worth, but let's say it's worth 40 or 50 bucks. That's just a guess based on the shipping fee. The seller knows full well that this will sell for 2 or 3 dollars because when you add the "shipping fees" it will come out to about the correct price...what the pedal is actually worth.

In the end he pays the Final Value Fees on the 3 bucks, which is about 30 cents as opposed to the fees on $45.00 which is a few bucks. Ebay doesn't collect fees on the shipping, just on the final bid price

I think this is pretty sleazy and I'm just waiting on ebay to crack down on these types of sellers. You'll also notice this guy's feedback is private, which is never a good sign.

I've even seen a guy try to sell a JP-8080 for a penny with $450.00 shipping. Wisely, no one bid on it. In fact, I see this all the time now on all kinds of items.
tblack

Postby MitchK1989 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:02 pm

One thing I don't understand is why some American sellers are reluctant to ship to Canada... I don't think anyone has ever had problems US -> Canada or Canada <- US... A very small border charge equivalent to sales tax if you use USPS or Canada Post. However American sellers consistantly refuse to use USPS, and insist on using UPS instead - Which means a hefty brokerage fee. I refuse to buy anything from an American unless they'll use USPS.
MitchK1989

Postby Dustin » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:05 pm

I've only had the best of luck sending eBay items to buyers in Canada using USPS. I don't know why some people get reluctant to do that, as it is much better then UPS (they don't man-handle the item).
Dustin

PreviousNext

Return to Buyer's Guide