Korg Rhythm 55 (KR-55 & KR-55B)
The KR55 was, for its time (1979), an advanced preset rhythm drum machine with up to 96 preset rhythm patterns! These patterns cover the whole gamut of presets (Waltz, Samba, Rhumba, Bossa Nova, Tango, Slow Rock, Swing, Rock, etc.). The KR55 also featured a "swing beat" control to add a variation to the groove. Each drum sound's level can be individually adjusted for each pattern. It can also be externally controlled via footswitch jack for the Start/Stop and Intro/Fill switches. The KR55B was a black-chassis version released a few years later in 1982 with twice as many rhythm patterns. It has been used by Jean-Michel Jarre, Trio and Depeche Mode.
- Demos & Media
Video 1 - Korg KR-55 Demonstrated By Anjelicas Baby
- Sounds - 12 Tones: Bass Drum, Snare Drum, HiHat x 2, Cymbal, Low Conga, High Conga, Rim Shot, Claves, Cowbell, Tom Tom x 2
- Patterns - KR55 - 48 Rhythm patterns: Waltz, Jazz Waltz, Rock, Ballad x 3, 5/4 Beat x 3, Mambo, Rumba, Beguine, Pops x 3, Rock x 12, Disco x 6, Foxtrot, Shuffle, March, Swing x3, Bossanova x3, Chacha, Samba, Afro, Enka, Tango, Habanera
16 Intro Rhythms
16 Fill-In Rhythms
KR-55B - 96 Rhythm patterns
- Controls - Level for each Drum Sound, Tempo, Swing Beat, Start/Stop, Intro/Fill
- Keyboard - None
- Effects - None
- Control - Start/Stop and Intro/Fill functions triggered by external footswitch
- Date Produced - 1979 - mid-eighties
- Resources & Credits
Images from The Audio Playground Synthesizer Museum.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.