The Commodore 64 is one of the best-known and best-loved computers of the 80s. It was the best selling PC of its era, and many fondly remember playing games on the unit. Adding to the computer's fame was the SID chip: an extremely powerful sound chip for its time, well beyond anything its competitors were producing. The SID chip is responsible for some of the most recognizable chip music ever produced.
Other synthesizers have harnessed the power of the SID chip (see the Elektron SIDstation), but none so completely as the MidiBox SID project. MidiBox is an open-source, modular approach to MIDI and synthesis, and the SID project is an engine designed to provide powerful access to the sound enervation capabilities of the SID.
The sammichSID is a specific offshoot of the MidiBox SID, designed from the ground up to be distributed as a complete kit, simple enough for a beginner to build. It runs on two SID chips (as opposed to the single sound chip of the Commodore 64 computer), allowing for stereo operation. Instead of the half dozen or so PCBs one would need for a modular MidiBox SID, the sammichSID is two PCBs that fit together inside a custom case.
Onto the synthesis: each chip has three independent voices and one analog filter. The Midibox software allows for very powerful access to all six voices: it can be set up as a monster monosynth, a six voice polyphonic synth, or any number of synced or ring-modulated combinations of oscillators. There is an extremely powerful modulation matrix, arpeggiator, TB-303-like bassline sequencer and drum sequencer.
The kits are no longer available, but completed specimens are often up for sale on the secondhand market. At about a third (or less) of the price of a SIDstation and many times more powerful, this is one of the definitive SID synths.
Lookup MidiBox SammichSID Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a MidiBox SammichSID? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
Manual - Find MidiBox User Manuals here
- Polyphony - Two SID chips, three oscillators each
- Oscillators - Six total oscillators, three per chip/filter
- Multitimbral - Two-voice multitimbral
- Filter - 1 12dB/oct filter per chip
- Memory - 4 banks of 128 patches, plus 128 "ensembles"
- Control - MIDI In/out
- Sequencer - Wavetable sequencer, bassline sequencer, drum sequencer
- Arpeggiator - Six independent arpeggiators
- LFO - Six LFOs, modulation matrix
- VCA - 2 DADDSRR envelopes sources with optional non-linear curve for Attack/Decay/Release
- Waveforms - Sawtooth, triangle, pulse, quasi-random noise. Waveforms mixable
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.