Studio Electronics SE-1
The SE-1 is an analog, monophonic synth-module designed to re-create that classic Moog sound perfect for Hip Hop, R&B and Dance music. The classic Moog sound comes from its distinctive 24 dB lowpass voltage controlled analog filter. There is also a 12 dB low-/band-pass filter which emulates the classic sounds of Oberheim synthesizers.
The SE-1 uses three discrete voltage controlled analog oscillators for genuine analog synth sounds. And that's three VCO's, just like the Minimoog. They offer the basic waveforms you would expect from any analog: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, noise, and random. There are also 4 multi-stage ADSR envelope generators used to shape your sound, the filter and more. Also available are Ring Modulation and Glide/Auto-Glide effects.
With 24 knobs, 21 tactile switches, MIDI control over parameters and plenty of program storage memory (396 presets and 396 user patches), the SE-1 is a professional alternative to its classic forefathers. It is used by Fatboy Slim, Frontline Assembly, Dr. Dre, and Astral Projection.
The SE-1X is an improved version of the SE-1 with the following new features: A total of 198 new sounds - includes the "Lexington G" and "Allec Series" banks. Creatively expanded Modulation capabilities. Greatly enhanced MIDI specs. Tight new look - phatt new logo, sharper, more attractive front and back panel graphics and text. Flash-ROM Web-updateable Operating Software. Smoother tweaking and MIDI transmission of front panel pots (switches send info. as well). External Audio Input.
For the limited run of Novamusik.com special editions "Red Eye" and "Angel Dust", the triangle wave of oscillator 2 was replaced with a pure sine wave, among other improvements.
Lookup Studio Electronics SE-1 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Studio Electronics SE-1? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - Monophonic
- Oscillators - 3 analog VCO's; Waveforms: triangle, sawtooth and variable width square. Osc2&3 sync to Osc1. Noise generator.
- LFO - 3 LFO's; Waveforms: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, noise, random. Controls: delay, key trigger, phase, and midi sync.
- Filter - 2 analog filters: 24db Lowpass (classic Moog), 12db Lowpass & Bandpass (classic Oberheim).
- VCA - 4 multi-stage envelope generators (ADSR). Env 1 fixed to filter frequency, Env 2 fixed to amp level, Env 3&4 are assignable
- Keyboard - None
- Memory - 4 ROM Banks (396 locations), 4 RAM Banks (396 locations)
- Control - MIDI
- Date Produced - 2000
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Studio Electronics and
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.