The DK70 is a fully programmable, battery powered portable synthesizer featuring subtractive synthesis using DCO, VCF and VCA technology (similar to Roland's Alpha Juno series). It has a polyphony of 8 voices in normal mode and 4 voices in dual mode. There are 50 memory patches (40 preset, 10 user) but that could be expanded to 100 with additional ROM or RAM cartridges. Editing and creating sounds is a behind the scenes affair - that is, not for real time or live use. With only a handful of press buttons for all data entry, editing is very tedious and boring.
So stick with the presets or pre-program and store your own sounds for later because this synth is otherwise aimed right at the live user - battery powered, lightweight, built-in guitar strap hooks and an optional "Stage Set" Grip with pitch ribbon, modulation depth, program change and octave +/- controls. The 49-note keyboard does not have velocity sensitivity. It also has a chorus effect and a simple two track sequencer which can store up to 200 notes. This cheap synth is great for string sounds, pads, bass and strange noises. Although similarly designed synths like the Roland Alpha Juno and Korg Poly 800 often seem more popular, many users have found the DK70 to have warmer and more 'analog' qualities from its VCF and VCA sections. The DK70 is probably an underrated synth and definitely worth checking out if you ever come across one.
Lookup Siel DK70 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Siel DK70? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
Manual - Download the original owner's manual from SoundProgramming.net.
- Polyphony - 8 voices (or 4 voice 'Dual Mode' with 2 DCOs per voice)
- Oscillators - 8 DCO's (Square / Saw-tooth).
- Filter - VCF: 1 resonant 24dB/Octave (4 pole) Low-Pass filter
- Envelopes - VCA: ADSR envelope, triggered by gate or LFO
- LFO - One
- Effects - Chorus
- Arpeg/Seq - 2 track polyphonic sequencer
- Keyboard - 49 keys (Split/layer)
- Memory - 40 preset, 10 user
- Control - MIDI In/Out/Thru
- Date Produced - 1985
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Siel Synthesizers
Reviewed November 2007.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.