For serious programmers and those who want to use it as a sound module, the SR-16 provides comprehensive MIDI programming and MIDI implementation. In addition to more than 200 drum and rhythm samples (both in dry form or with reverb), a Dynamic Articulation feature enables a drum's tone to change, depending on how hard it's hit. Comes with fifty preset rhythm patterns (played in by top studio drummers), each with an A and B variation, plus A and B fill, for a total of four different rhythms in each pattern. Of course, you can create and save your own customized patterns and songs. Also includes four outputs, twelve velocity-sensitive pads, 16-voice polyphony, sample/DAC bit resolution 16/18, sound stacking, step editing and a 20-255BPM tempo range.
No doubt the SR-16 is a powerful drum machine, but ultimately it also sounds like a drum machine. If you need some drums to accompany your keyboard or guitar playing, for example, the SR-16 has been the go-to drum machine for many years. But all those bumper stickers about drum machines having no soul just might be directed at the SR-16. It may be a great tool for musicians but in the studio its sound just can't beat the real deal - or loops and more modern drum & percussion instruments and software. It has been used by Autechre and Vangelis.
Lookup Alesis SR-16 Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Alesis SR-16? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 16 voice
- Drum Sounds - Sounds: 233; Kits: 50 user, 50 preset
- Patterns - 400 (200 user, 200 preset) with 12,000 note capacity
- Songs - 100
- Effects - Panning & Dynamic Articulation (modulates tone). Some samples have reverb & ambience in them.
- Keyboard - 12 velocity sensitive Pads (w/Dynamic Articulation)
- Control - MIDI (Change Kits, Sync: MIDI Clock/Song Position Pointer).
Foot-switch Jacks/Functions: 2; start/stop, count/A/B/fill
- Date Produced - 1990-2003
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Alesis Online
Additional info by John Hilfing.
Reviewed November 2007.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.