The rare Steiner-Parker Synthacon is a portable 3-VCO monophonic analog synthesizer that rivals the popular Minimoog with its fat tone, durable construction and stable, stable tuning. The Synthacon has the same circuitry as the modular SynthaSystem. Interestingly, the Synthacon's filter can self-oscillate like the Minimoog, but has an opposite polarity so it doesn't lose any volume when resonance is increased as do the Minimoog and Odyssey's filters.
Each of the Synthacon's 3 oscillators can be modulated by a variety of sources: LFO, EG1, EG2, VCF, sample-and-hold, and other oscillators. White and Pink noise make for brilliant ocean/wind sounds. The filter is a multimode resonant beast switchable between high, band and lowpass filtering. It can be used to filter each of the oscillators and the noise gens. The shape of the filtering can be controlled by EG2, sample-and-hold, VCO3 or the keyboard. The voltage-controlled amp can control the oscillators, noise and filter. And there are (2) envelope generators which can control the VCA, oscillators, noise and filter.
Earlier models of the Synthacon had silver-faced front panels. Later a duophonic upgrade, the "Two Voice Synthacon" was released. The Synthacon has been used by Earth Wind and Fire, Joe Walsh, the Doors, Frank Zappa and John Paul Jones.
Check Steiner-Parker Synthacon Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Steiner-Parker Synthacon? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
- Polyphony - Monophonic
- Oscillators - 3 VCOS (VCO1: sawtooth, sine; VCO2, VCO3: sawtooth, square, or pulse.) plus a White and Pink Noise generator
- Effects - Sample and Hold, Portamento
- Filter - 2-pole resonant low/band/highpass VCF
- VCA - ADSR, envelope generator, Trigger Generator
- Keyboard - 49 keys w/ controls for Tune, Scale, Portamento, Range Select (8 octave range), and pitch bend
- Memory - None
- Control - CV/Trigger
- Date Produced - 1975-1979
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Switched On Music Electronics.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.