Steinberg The Grand
The Grand is a VST Instrument devoted to providing the sound of a Concert Grand Piano in the self-contained, pristine environment of your computer. Its sounds are based on the sampled/modeled sounds of a real Grand Piano. As a result it takes up over 1.3 GB of disk space! It also uses a large chunk of RAM (you can adjust how much sample is streamed from disk or loaded into RAM). If you want that real piano sound instantly accessible and flexible enough to use in your computer sequencer, The Grand is an affordable good deal! It is available for both Mac and PC platforms with VST 2.0 compatible host applications.
The initial screen you see when you open an instance of The Grand is of the keyboard. You can click on the keys to play notes (or use MIDI instruments connected to your computer). The Grand's 88-key keyboard emulates many of the characteristics of an acoustic piano. There are three weighted key settings to choose from and adjustable velocity curves individually adaptable to suit your personal playing style. Authentic functionality of sustain and sostenuto pedals is also built-in with real re-pedaling resonance.
There are a couple options for shaping your Grand Piano sounds. There are four basic Piano sounds: Natural, Soft, Bright, and Hard. A simple Ambience effect can be dialed-in, adding a little reverb to sweeten' the sound. There are also hammer and string release parameters for authentic-sounding damper and hammer action, adjustable polyphony and tuning, tempered and grand concert piano tunings. The Grand succeeds in creating a darn good piano, rich in sound and with enough editability to give you a broad range of feeling. Unfortunately, The Grand does not attempt to go beyond emulating the piano sound, so there are no LFOs, no filters, nothing that can really modulate or change the sound. Just rich, clean piano sounds instantly available and with simple programmability. It's a great tool for composers who don't want to deal with the troubles and expense of a real concert grand, and it's easier to use than any sampler.
Check Steinberg The Grand Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Steinberg The Grand? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - Up to 16 voices per Instance (CPU Dependent)
- Oscillators - Four master timbres: Natural, Soft, Bright, Hard
- LFO - None
- Filter - None
- VCA - None
- Keyboard - 88 keys with adjustable Non/Light/Heavy weighted simulation and adjustable Velocity Curve
- Macintosh - Power Macintosh, G3/500 MHz/100 MHz bus, 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended), 1.3 GB free hard disk space, Mac OS 9.x, Cubase VST 5.0 or higher, Nuendo or other VST 2.0 compatible host application
- Windows/PC - Pentium II, 400 MHz, 256 MB RAM (512 MB recommended), 1.3 GB free hard disk space, Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, Cubase VST 5.0 or higher, Nuendo or other VST 2.0 compatible host application, PC configured according to the specifications of the host application
- Date Produced - 2002
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.