Moog Slim Phatty
For those who were excited to see a new synth engine from Moog in 2011, the Slim Phatty was a bit of a disappointment. But for those who had enough keyboards cluttering the studio and just wanted that big juicy Moog sound, it was most welcome.
The Slim Phatty has the same engine as the much-loved Little Phatty but in a rack-mountable unit (3U) that can also be used as a tabletop unit, made oh-so-retro-chic with the optional wooden end caps. The Little and Slim Phatty share the same firmware so any updates can be made to either one. The Slim Phatty was the first Moog device with USB, which not only makes those updates easier but also makes integration into a modern studio very simple. For those who have dreamed of owning a polyphonic Moog but can't afford a Memorymoog, the Slim Phatty can also be chained with other Phatty devices for multi-voiced Moog richness.
Moog left off the Little Phatty's rather heavy case, the 37-key keyboard, and the mod and pitch wheels, so what remains is a lightweight and even portable version of the Little Phatty's main engine, fully compatible with MIDI, DAW, or CV-based studios. The control panel is a bit smaller than the Little Phatty's but still very comfortable and easy to use. Not quite knob-per-function, but nevertheless very straightforward.
As for the sound, it's exactly the big, thick oscillators and the rich wet filter that players expect from a Moog. Modulation is limited, especially compared to more modern mono-synths, but it was made to be compatible with the Moogerfooger line, the MP-201 and the CP-251 for semi-modular flexibility. Later firmware updates added velocity sensitivity for volume, alternative scales, LFO reset, and other features, making the Slim Phatty a perfect choice for players who want the all-analog Moog sound with the flexibility of modern synths.
In 2013 the Slim Phatty, which had a black faceplate to match the Little Phatty, received an aesthetic makeover to match it to the new metallic-white Sub Phatty.
Check Moog Slim Phatty Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Moog Slim Phatty? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - Monophonic
- Multitimbral - No
- Oscillators - 2 VCOs, both 16', 8', 4', 2'
- Waveforms - Continuously variable: triangle through saw and square to narrow pulse.
- LFO - LFO with triangle, square, sawtooth, ramp
- Modulation - Mod Source: LFO, Filt. EGR or Sample and Hold, and Osc. 2 or Noise. Mod Destination: Pitch, Osc. 2, Filter, Wave.
- Filter - 1 Low Pass VCF: 24dB/Oct Moog Ladder with overload and ADSR.
- Envelope - 1 Volume amp with ASDR
- Effects - None
- Sequencer - None
- Arpeggiator - Up, down, ordered. MIDI-syncable
- Keyboard - None
- Memory - 100 presets, all can be overwritten by user
- Control - MIDI In/Out/Thru; USB; and CV: Pitch CV In (1 V/Oct) Filter CV In Volume CV In Keyboard Gate In
- Weight - 5.75 Lbs (2.6 kg)
- Date Produced - 2011
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Review by GuyaGuy.
Reviewed February 2013.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.