The first of the OB series Oberheim synths, this is a classic analog synthesizer available in 4, 6 or 8 voice configurations. It featured a 2 pole VCF lowpass filter with its own ADSR, a VCA with ADSR, a flexible LFO section, polyphonic sample and hold, polyphonic portamento and 32 patches of memory. Although it has been over-shadowed by the bigger and more popular OB-Xa and OB-8 synths which offer more flexible programming, the OB-X still holds its own. Capable of lush analog synth sounds comparable to the Sequential Prophet 5 but at a reasonable price. The OB-X also gives you Polymod functionality, something that the OB-Xa and OB-8 do not have.
This synth is definitely worth checking out. It has been used by Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Cirrus, Depeche Mode, Queen, Supertramp, Kenny Kirkland, Jean-Michel Jarre, Japan, Tangerine Dream, Rush, Simple Minds, Chicago, Styx, Ultravox and dozens more!
Demos & Media
Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Guitar Center: Synths and MIDI
- Sweetwater: Hot items in Keyboars section
- The Musician's Friend: Keyboard gear
- AMS: Brand synths and accessories
- The Woodwind & Brasswind Store
- music123.com: Synth Blow Out Deal Section
- Shop Casio: Everything Casio
- zZounds: Keyboards and MIDI equipment
- Earphone Solutions: Wide variety of earphones
Images from Perfect Circuit Audio.