Roland TR-707 Rhythm Composer
A very underrated drum machine! It resembles the popular TR-909, and better yet, its hi-hat, cymbals, and clap sound almost identical to the TR-909! The TR-707 is a great source for cheap 909 samples. It has some other cool features too such as its Matrix display which clearly maps out your pattern for you in an easy to read display panel. It also features both MIDI in/out and DIN sync control - the best of both worlds. Why this unit even has individual outputs for each of its drum tones!
For programming, it features a shuffle and flam effect and its programming abilities are very impressive. But it does have its limitations, the only adjustment you can make to each drum tone is volume. And all of its other drum tones are boring (especially ride, kick and snare). It's used by Aphex Twin, Laurent Garnier, Squarepusher, Luke Vibert, Freddy Fresh, Phil Collins, Marshall Jefferson and Plastikman.
Check Roland TR-707 Rhythm Composer Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Roland TR-707 Rhythm Composer? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Effects - Shuffle / Flam
- Oscillators - Sample Playback/Acoustic Simulation. Drum sounds are 8-bit, Crash & Ride are 6-bit.
- Tones - 15 sampled sounds (kick1, kick2, snare1, snare2, low tom, mid tom, high tom, rim shot, cow bell, hand clap, Tambourine, open/closed high hat, crash/ride cymbals)
- Patterns - 64
- Songs - 4
- Arpeg/Seq - Sequencer
- Keyboard - none
- Control - MIDI IN/OUT & DIN SYNC IN/OUT & TRIG OUT (outputs Rimshot sound as trigger)
- Date Produced - 1985
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Perfect Circuit Audio.
Thanks to James Malcolm for adding info.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.