Among the first of Roland's revolutionary SH line of synthesizers that spawned such classics as the SH-101, SH-09 and SH-7! The SH-1 analog monophonic synthesizer is by no means any less powerful or sophisticated. Its overall look, design and architecture is very similar to the SH-101. One VCO plus one sub-oscillator provide you with simple but great analog basses, leads and effects - Roland SH style! The VCO can be tuned over a 5 octave range (2', 4', 8', 16', 32') with saw, square and pulse waveforms.
A squelchy VCF (filter) section, plenty of LFO modulation capabilities and an Auto-bend portamento type effect are also at your fingertips. The VCF, VCA and LFO sections have adequate and flexible controls and can modulate or affect each other in some way just as on the other similar SH-type synths. However the SH-1 does not feature an on-board sequencer or arpeggiator. The SH-1 sounds pretty good and makes a nice alternative to the more popular and plastic SH-101. It has been used by Depeche Mode and Vince Clarke.
Check Roland SH-1 Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Roland SH-1? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - Monophonic
- Oscillators - 1 VCO (saw, sqr, pulse) + sub-oscillator
- LFO - 1 Modulator (sine, square, random) with rate and delay controls; Can modulate VCO, Envelope 1, Envelope 2, VCF
- Filter - Hi-pass filter and a Low-pass with resonance, cutoff; modulated by Envelope 1, LFO, KYBD, envelope follower
- VCA - Envelope 1: ADSR, Envelope 2: AR
- Memory - None
- Keyboard - 32 notes
- Control - CV / Gate, Trigger output
- Date Produced - 1978
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Synth Forum member: johnathan1
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.