Sequential Circuits Prophet VS
Here's a very cool keyboard from Sequential. Notice the joystick for controlling your sound modeling. The Prophet VS uses Vector Synthesis as its revolutionary new means of sound creation. It uses a total of four oscillators per voice with 127 waveforms (32 user) and dynamic waveform crossfading via the joystick. This was Sequential's first digital synth, and it was also their final synth unfortunately. But after Sequential was gone, Vector Synthesis technology went into the popular Korg Wavestation and Yamaha's SY-22 and TG-33.
Pictured above is the common rackmount version of the PVS. The Prophet VS is still a very sought after instrument because it has an incredible range of sounds! Its only problem is that there's practically nobody left that can fix it if something went wrong. It is used by Brian Eno, Trent Reznor, Apollo 440, Depeche Mode, Vince Clarke, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, Erasure and filmmaker/composer John Carpenter.
Lookup Sequential Circuits Prophet VS Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Sequential Circuits Prophet VS? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Demos & Media
Factory Patches - These are the original factory patches for the Prophet VS, available for Macintosh and Windows/PC.
More Patches - These are custom patches by Philip Pilgrim at The Audio Lab. They are in the .mid format and are for Macintosh and Windows/PC.
Manual - Download the original owner's manual from SoundProgramming.net.
- Polyphony - 8 Voices; 2-part multitimbral
- Oscillators - 96 preset waveforms + 32 user waveforms
- LFO - Two, each with own envelope generator
- Filter - Curtis analog (digitally controlled) 4-pole lowpass with its own envelope generators
- Envelopes - 5 stage amp, filter and mix envelopes
- Keyboard - 61 keys (velocity / aftertouch)
- Memory - 100 patches
- Effects - twin chorus, stereo effects panning of individual oscillators/individual voices
- Arpeggiator - very nice versatile arpeggiator, user can define note order by playing etc.
- Control - MIDI
- Date Produced - 1986-87
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.