Waldorf Microwave XT
The Microwave XT is a great big orange polyphonic rackmount synthesizer. While combining the power of the Wave and the compact design of Waldorf's Microwave II, the XT adds a bit of knob-laden heaven. At first glance the top section completely resembles the 2-space rackmount version of the Microwave II. And then there are three more rack-spaces full of knobs and lots of knobs means lots of control.
As far as enhancements, the XT model has 20-bit DSP functions but that's about it. Its true power and features lie in the 44 hands-on knobs which make editing in real-time quick, easy and perfect for performance and studio work. All of the knobs transmit MIDI information as well!
The Synthesizer engine is relatively the same as the Microwave II and Wave synths that came before it. Digital wavetable synthesis and FM synthesis in which there are 64 waves that are mixed and combined into new sounds. The Microwave XT can easily emulate the sounds of the PPG wavetable synths as well as create squelchy acid-303 lines or boomy Moog bass. Also onboard is a nice arpeggiator, digital effects and more. The Microwave XT is definitely a powerful rackmount synth that can generate some highly unique and quality sounds. It is used by Astral Projection, The Crystal Method, Mirwais, and Cirrus.
Check Waldorf Microwave XT Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Waldorf Microwave XT? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 10 voice (expandable to 30)
- Oscillators - 2 oscillators per voice of DSP wavetable synthesis; 1 Ring Mod; 1 Noise Source
- Memory - 256 internal patches, 64 external card
- Filter - 6/12/24 LP/HP, FM Filter, Sin (x)-LP, Dbl LP/HP, 24/12 BP, Band Stop, Waveshaper
- VCA - 1 VCA, VCA ADSR, 1 Free Envelope
- LFO - 2 LFO's, sine, tri, square, random, S&H
- Effects - Chorus, Flanger 1 & 2, Autowah BP, Autowah LP, Overdrive, Delay, Amp Mod
- Keyboard - none
- Arpeg/Seq - 16 steps, 128 patterns
- Control - MIDI (8-parts)
- Date Produced - 1998
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Perfect Circuit Audio.
Thanks to Chris Coccia for providing some information.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.