The CS-40m is a duophonic (2-voice) analog synthesizer that was introduced in 1979. Although Yamaha had already conquered polyphony with their legendary 8-voice CS-80, the CS-40m offered a more affordable approach to something other than a mono-synth. It has a semi-compact 44 note (3 1/2 octave) keyboard, 36 knobs, 12 sliders and over a dozen buttons for easy hands-on performance and editing. There are also 20 patches of memory which can be off-loaded to cassette tape.
The CS-40m certainly isn't as phatt as the CS-80. In fact, the CS-40m is more like a 2-voice version of the CS-20m. Like most CS-series synths the CS-40m has two analog oscillators per voice. Triangle, sawtooth, and square (pulse) waveforms are available on each oscillator, plus there is a noise generator. There is also a simple AR (attack/release) envelope generator for each VCO.
The CS-40m has a multi-mode VCF (filter) switchable between lowpass, bandpass, and highpass filtering. Basic filter cutoff and resonance controls are here, but the filter's resonance can't be driven to self-oscillate. It does, however, have its own ADSR envelope generator for nice sweeping filter effects. There is a basic LFO (Low Frequency Modulator) for modulating the VCO, VCF or VCA. All these classic controls and features and sounds... you would expect wood panels... and there are! The CS-40m has been used by Electronic Dream Plant, Sneaker Pimps, Ultravox, Duran Duran, and Vangelis.
Lookup Yamaha CS-40m Prices
The link above will take you to an eBay search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related Forum Topics
User Comments & Reviews
Are you looking to buy or sell a Yamaha CS-40m? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- Polyphony - (2-voices) Duophonic
- Oscillators - 2 VCO's + noise gen. Triangle, Sawtooth, Square (Pulse) waveforms.
- LFO - Waveforms: sine, up-ramp, down-ramp, square, and sample-and-hold.
- Filter - multimode: Low-, Band-, High-Pass w/ cutoff, resonance, and ADSR envelope controls
- VCA - ADSR (x5 switch)
- Arpeg/Seq - None
- Effects - None
- Keyboard - 44 keys (3 1/2 octaves)
- Memory - 20 patches via 2 banks of 10 presets; external cassette interface
- Control - CV/Trigger outputs for each voice and CV inputs for portamento, sustain, brilliance, volume and filter.
- Date Produced - 1979 - 1986
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.