Yamaha QY700 Sequencer
The QY700 is a high-end Sequencer Workstation released in the mid to late '90's. It's an all-in-one sequencer with a built-in synthesizer, effects, MIDI and tons of memory! The QY700 makes an excellent alternative to computer-based MIDI studios; the QY700 has the power to be the heart of your MIDI studio. Of course such boxes as the Yamaha RS-7000 have come along since the introduction of the QY700 that add more features and capabilities. But the QY700 is nostalgic and still powerful enough to hold up to today's standards!
At it's core, it is a programmable MIDI sequencer. It can store up to 110,000 notes, 48 Tracks (32 Linear, 16 Pattern) and 20 Songs. A built-in 3.5 inch disk drive provides external storage. The sequencer has 64 notes of polyphony which is usually more than enough. The sequencer allows recording in Step, Punch-In, and Realtime with overdubbing features. The tempo can range from 5 to 300 bpm and the Conductor Track is very flexible. Thankfully a fairly large 320 x 240 backlit LCD screen makes entry and editing very easy to see and use.
In addition to controlling your synths via MIDI, the QY700 has it's own Yamaha synth engine inside. Using AWM2 - Advanced Wave Memory - as well as Yamaha's XG format and good old General MIDI sounds, the QY700 has an ample selection of quality digital sounds ready to use! You get nearly 4,000 drums, bass, guitar, and synth sounds. There's even a library of Phrases like intro, fill and ending patterns that you can use. These phrases are highly tweakable and can be made all your own. There's also Chord memory and plenty of built-in effects to use on the internal sounds as well. The QY700 even has a pseudo 2-octave keyboard and assignable mini Pitch/Mod wheels, and programmable foot switches for start, stop, fill, etc. Additional MIDI I/O's and outputs would have been nice, but it's still a capable and musical sequencer.
- Polyphony - Maximum 32 simultaneous notes from Sequencer. Maximum 32 simultaneous notes from internal synth tone generator.
- Sequencer - 110,000 notes (lithium battery backup); 32 Tracks; 20 Songs. Timing Resolution: 1/480 quarter-notes. Tempo: 25-300 bpm.
- Tone Generator - AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory; 32Mbit Wave ROM), XG, GM. 480 Normal Voices; 11 Drum voices. Maximum 32 timbres (last-note priority with element reverse, DVA).
- Phrases/Styles - 3876 Preset phrases, 99 User phrases per style. 64 styles consisting of Preset phrases and User phrases), 8 sections per style.
- Chord Memory - M7, M, 6, m7(11), M9, add9, m,m6, m7,m7(flat5), mM7, m9, madd9, 7,7(sharp5), 7(flat9), 9, 7(sharp9), 7(sharp11), 7(flat 13), 7(13), 7sus4, sus4, dim, aug, 6-09, 7(flat5).
- Effects - 11 Reverbs, 11 Choruses, Delay, Rotary Speaker, Tremolo, Auto Pan, Phaser, Distortion, Overdrive, Amp Sim, 3-band EQ, 2-band EQ, Auto Wah, and more.
- Memory - 3.5 in. 2DD/2HD floppy disk drive (SMF Format 0/1, ESEQ), Demo Disk Included
- Control - MIDI IN/OUT (x2), Foot Switch
- Date Produced - 1996
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.