The RY30 is an elegant Drum Machine with advanced synth-like features that give it a really great sound. Its sounds come from a sample-based ROM synthesis engine belonging to Yamaha's SY/TG series of digital synthesizers. It's sounds are 16-bit, 48kHz PCM with digital multimode filters. It can store up to 100 user patterns and 20 songs, plus it comes with 100 preset patterns in various styles for instant drum accompaniment.
The RY30 has 90 waveforms, most of which are acoustic drum and percussion samples. There are an additional 6 analog waves including sine, triangle, and saw waves. Two oscillators can be layered per voice, and the voices can be pitched and played via MIDI. It has 16-note polyphony, but loses one voices to the metronome. There are eight touch sensitive pads dedicated to a certain type of drum sound. There are 96 drums sounds built-in (12 banks of eight). Additional sounds and patterns can be brought in via ROM cards for the RY30/RM50 as well as some SY/TG cards.
There are digital 12 and 24 db/oct hipass and lowpass filters which sound ok, and are great for contouring sounds. There are no effects except internal samples can be played in reverse. It also has four outputs that you can assign any drum sound to (kick, snare, hihat, etc). A nice little Modulation Wheel can adjust the pitch, decay time, pan, filter cutoff and the balance of the oscillators. As far as drum machines go, the RY30 is one of the nicest and biggest rivals of the venerable Roland R8.
Check Yamaha RY30 Prices on eBay
The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings with more images, specs and information. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace. Our marketplace gets thousands of visits every week so make sure to check back often if you want to buy or sell a synth.
Related forum topics
Are you looking to buy or sell a Yamaha RY30? Post an ad in Gear For Sale or a request in Gear Wanted. For spare parts and repair services check out Gear Services & Other Goods. Our forums also has a Buyer’s Guide section where you can ask for advice on buying synthesizers.
- The link above will take you to a search for this synth to see active listings. If you don't find it there, try looking in our forum marketplace or post a wanted classified.
- Polyphony - 16 note polyphony (metronome takes 1 voice)
- Sounds - 16-bit AWM2, 48 kHz. Drum tones: 96 internal PCM sounds, 32 sounds per external ROM card.
- Sequencer - Resolution: 1/96 note, Tempo range: 40-250bpm.
- Filter - Digital Filter, High (12 and 24 dB/oct) and Lowpass (12 and 24 dB/oct)
- VCA - Decay Rate + Volume. Envelope rate can be modulated by Velocity.
- Keyboard - 12 pads with velocity sensitive controlling filter, volume, EQ, and pitch
- Memory - 100 preset and 100 user programmable patterns (up to 4 measures per pattern), 20 songs (up to 999 measures each).
- Control - MIDI IN/OUT (16-part multitimbral)
- Date Produced - 1991
- Shop for Keyboards, MIDI & Gear
- Resources & Credits
Images from Yamaha online.
Errors or Corrections? Send them here.